Cali Kid Corals

Can copepods live in marinepure rocks/blocks/balls?

After just a week, my mandarin has already decimated my tank's pod colony! My pod culture (thanks to Mark B!) isn't fast enough to keep up with my mandarin so I ordered two bags of live pods from AlgaeBarn. My sump has plenty of rubble rock and chaeto for pods to live in. My tank OTOH may not have enough rocks for the pods to hide/live in. Since marinepures are known for being super porous, I was wondering if they would be suitable habitats for pods? Or are the holes only big enough for bacterias?

I have the sphere's and I don't think the holes are large enough for pods to live in....but I do see them crawling all over them...

Depend on the pods, a lot of them are so small they are not visible to naked eye. I wondered sometimes if I just paid $30 for a bag of water.

Right? I got my algae barn pods today. It does look like just a bag of water, that til I flashed my phone flash light from under the bag and you see a ton of critters swimming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dude you killed all my pods?:eek: I doubt the mandarin got them all. What type of pods did you order?

No I still have some of them in my pod culture. I think that heat wave may have killed most of my culture so I'm trying to grow them back to a decent number.

In the meantime I purchased algaebarns 5280 pod soup (they may have been short a couple). It's supposed to have tisbes, tigre, and apocyclops.

I don't think they would fit well in the marinepure block pores. Maybe when young. The balls might be good though since there is space between them. They seem to particularly like chaeto in the refugium, at least the larger amphipods that are easier to see.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think they would fit well in the marinepure block pores. Maybe when young. The balls might be good though since there is space between them. They seem to particularly like chaeto in the refugium, at least the larger amphipods that are easier to see.

I'm thinking of hiding some chaeto behind the rock work of my DT. Are there any downside to keeping chaeto in the main tank?

It needs light to grow so you can't really hide it well, and is a favorite snack among many of the fish we keep like tangs. My fish eat it very quickly when I put some in the display. Completely subjective but some people don't like how it looks. But I don't know of any reason to keep it out of the display otherwise.

It needs light to grow so you can't really hide it well, and is a favorite snack among many of the fish we keep like tangs. My fish eat it very quickly when I put some in the display. Completely subjective but some people don't like how it looks. But I don't know of any reason to keep it out of the display otherwise.

I've got some spots in the back of my rock work that still gets plenty of light. I want to put it in some sort of netting so I can pull it out easily when I need to. As for fish eating it, so far I've only got two clowns and the mandarin, but if they decide they like chaeto I'd be ecstatic!

Back