Reef nutrition

Anyone ever tried....

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
an Orange Spotted Filefish in an all LPS tank? Assume it's taking prepared foods and/or regularly supplied with dead acros.

b072e3aa4037e7e11cc6f4334bb02cab_1024.jpg

They have a tank at the Cal Academy (want to say it was "Rich Ross'" tank) where they got one of these in a tank with some fairly meaty LPS. But it's been a while since I've been, so my old memory might be fogged.

By all reports they seem to only eat a very narrow type of SPS. Just curious why we don't see them in LPS tanks more often -- other than the fact they have to be weaned to prepared foods.

yes, i had one in my 28 gallon for a year. ordered it from liveaquaria. was in a mixed reef with LPS, SPS, softies etc. the only coral it ate was a digitata. Liveaquaria has theirs already on prepared foods when they put them up in the DD, and its pretty fair too generally 40-50 dollars. mine died from an internal infection of some sort, I documented it on RC here http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590202

yes, i had one in my 28 gallon for a year. ordered it from liveaquaria. was in a mixed reef with LPS, SPS, softies etc. the only coral it ate was a digitata. Liveaquaria has theirs already on prepared foods when they put them up in the DD, and its pretty fair too generally 40-50 dollars. mine died from an internal infection of some sort, I documented it on RC here http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2590202

Ya -- there's one on LA now for $45.00.

No need to apologize, just wanted to make sure people know the difference. LA is where all sorts of questionable transshipped fish (kind of like a certain group buy :D) are kept in holding pens of varying sizes kind of like the worst LFS in all of existence. Diver's Den on the other hand has the fish looked after, and in a more "natural" environment, kind of like the best LFS in all of existence.

I had a matted filefish for a while, before a sad accident with a pump.
It ate, my guess in order of preference:
neon toadstools (the stalks only)
Aptasia
Some small Zoas, but it avoided most of them.
Sinularia, but only the small ends
Majanos

I never noticed it touching any SPS, but there was so much else to eat, perhaps it never got that far.

Back