Cali Kid Corals

RBTA is in hiding.. should I be concerned?

lol I knew someone was going to comment on that.. the struggle is real man. I'm looking to get more astrea snails this weekend to hopefully help out with the GHA. Any tips?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Manual removal is always best. Herbivores are good too. Tangs, Sea hares, turbo snails.... You might need to cut back on your feedings. It’s growing because it has nutrients available to it.

Manual removal is always best. Herbivores are good too. Tangs, Sea hares, turbo snails.... You might need to cut back on your feedings. It’s growing because it has nutrients available to it.

Thought about getting a yellow tang but my tank might not be big enough for one. I'm also considering a lawnmower blenny.

thats a ton of GHA, i'd remove as much as you can manually and then cut back on whatever is feeding it. are your phos and nitrates in check?
Get your phophate in control

My nitrates and phosphates are in check. GHA is mostly growing on the very top of my rockwork closest to the light. I've also started dosing phytoplankton from algaebarn.. could that be the source of nutrient?

I've always used sea hares to tame a really out of control situation, and then use turbo snails to keep it down.

Sea hares are known to go to town on GHA. Occasionally they won't touch the stuff, but most will wipe it out fast. They also starve if they don't have a lot more algae to consume, so if you're able to maintain it, great, otherwise maybe DBTC or pass it to the next guy or gal.

I've always used sea hares to tame a really out of control situation, and then use turbo snails to keep it down.

Sea hares are known to go to town on GHA. Occasionally they won't touch the stuff, but most will wipe it out fast. They also starve if they don't have a lot more algae to consume, so if you're able to maintain it, great, otherwise maybe DBTC or pass it to the next guy or gal.

Do you know where to buy sea hares? I'm closest to Neptune by they hardly have any snails let alone sea hares, at least I've never seen one there.

Do you know where to buy sea hares? I'm closest to Neptune by they hardly have any snails let alone sea hares, at least I've never seen one there.

In the past I've gotten them on LiveAquaria, but that was like 7 years ago. I also used to goto this place near my old work place in Concord called All About Fish. But that was also like 7 years ago (or more). They would have them sometimes. I haven't seen them much since. I feel like I saw one at Aquatic Collection recently, but I was just there today and didn't see any.

My experience is they have to be acclimated really well (PH sensitivity maybe). So doing a DBTC and passing them around is kind of terrible for them. I think back in the day we had one sea hare live for about a year in five different tanks. Not sure what happened to it. And other times we only had it survive one or two transfers =(

Don't know who Rico is, but I did get those settings somewhere online so it's possible I got it from him somehow.

Don't know who Rico is, but I did get those settings somewhere online so it's possible I got it from him somehow.

That's fine. There's no concern with your light settings. I'm curious what PAR numbers you get from them. Did you get a turn with the PAR meter yet?

Back