Neptune Aquatics

Best way to clean/disinfect equipment

Hi all,

In light of my algae disaster I decided to restart my tank. What is the most effective way to clean the skimmer, pumps, and powerheads so I don't introduce dinoflagellates or other nasties to the new tank?

Thanks all!
Mike

Just drying your equipment in the sun would kill any of the organisms you are worried about. If you want to clean equipment, I think running it in some vinegar would be fine, but not needed in regards to pests.

What are you gonna do differently this time around?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.

Honestly I don't know what else I could have done differently the first time, aside from not having the lighting on for so long and so intense. I took very careful steps to acclimate corals and fish, I did 5% water changes every other day, I use a 6-stage RODI device for top off and water changes, I made sure salinity and temp for new water matched tank water, I checked parameters at least twice which showed no NH4/NO2, I fed the tank sparingly with frozen food...it's really frustrating because I have no idea how my tank failed.

In a cycled tank, the parameters you should be measuring for in regards to algae should be nitrates and phophates. I'm not sure how quickly you moved forward with stocking your tank, but in general it's better to go slower and to limit your feedings. So far, it seems like your export mechanisms are skimmer and 5% water changes. Depending on how your nutrient levels are, you might need to change that.

I think if you're gonna start over you should plan on doing things differently, otherwise you run a good risk of seeing the same result.

Yea I just spoke with my wife, if we go forward with the new tank she does not want another "science experiment", so to speak. I did not test for phosphates but I only had 1 clownfish, a very small Xenia frag and handful of snails. I fed the tank a small pinch of food every couple of days.

In any case, I'm actually thinking about starting over completely with an all-in-one. I'm paranoid and I also want to take out as much of the guess-work as possible.

Hate to tell you this but you will get algae and most likely dinos in the new tank as well.

Most tanks go through this phase at 1 point or another.

Is it possible to start a new tank and not have alage? Yes, but you have to be very very diligent during the cycle NOT to overload the tank with nitrates. Best way is to cycle the rocks in a separate container, then move them into the tank after the cycle. Essentially a 100% water change.

Are you using the same rocks? They are probably soaked in phosphates. So you to wait for them to leach out and export them somehow. Do it while it is cycling in a separate container and use lanthium chloride to precipitate them out.

But even after all that, you will most likely end up with alage in the tank. Diligent early removal is the key here.

Good luck.

Hate to tell you this but you will get algae and most likely dinos in the new tank as well.

Most tanks go through this phase at 1 point or another.

Is it possible to start a new tank and not have alage? Yes, but you have to be very very diligent during the cycle NOT to overload the tank with nitrates. Best way is to cycle the rocks in a separate container, then move them into the tank after the cycle. Essentially a 100% water change.

Are you using the same rocks? They are probably soaked in phosphates. So you to wait for them to leach out and export them somehow. Do it while it is cycling in a separate container and use lanthium chloride to precipitate them out.

But even after all that, you will most likely end up with alage in the tank. Diligent early removal is the key here.

Good luck.

Thanks for the comment. I know every tank likely goes through some sort of algae phase, but my tank is nearly a year old at this point and has only housed 1 clownfish and 1 Xenia coral the size of a quarter. In any case, I tested my phosphates and they measured about 1.6ppm. I have absolutely no idea how phosphates got that high with 1 clown and 1 xenia coral. I tested the RODI output and it's showing zero TDS.

I am starting over completely, so none of the rock or sand is going into the new tank. That being said, I would like to use my current skimmer, heater, and other equipment in the new tank. Should a vinegar bath overnight and a RODI bath take care of the nasties in the equipment?

Back