Jestersix

Refugium lights

L/B Block

Supporting Member
Ok -how many people are running chaeto in their systems, and if so -what lighting are you using? Should I get any cheapo lighting or go for the Kessil halo something for $300.

I still have an unused rapid LED that I might be able to shove behind the refugium between the wall-just need to remember to wear sun glasses when I open the cabinet door!

Going to run some chaeto for those little copepods and to reduce phosphate a bit. and nitrates too. If anyone in the immediate oakland, Berkeley area has some to spare, greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a bag for you anytime when you are ready. And I use cheap yellowish light for a great result.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have a marshydro that works really well. Only reason went kessil was that i needed room in my stand.

Last edited:
I will take that under advisement. How well did it work for you?

It really liked it. My chaeto really took off after I switched to it. Only selling it because the tank it was over has been turned into a frag tank.

I have an H380 and am very happy with the chaeto growth, form factor, weight, mounting, silent running, and confidence in Kessil. I’d recommend it.

I previously used a prior generation full spectrum "refugium light" from Amazon and had mediocre results. I haven’t tried the newer no-name photosynthetic spectrum refug lights that lots of people like, but I never seriously considered them since the H380 was the obvious choice for me. Not having to worry about build quality, efficacy, and electrical safety is worth a lot to me and I’m happy to pay for it. There is already plenty to worry about in this hobby :)

I have an H380 and am very happy with the chaeto growth, form factor, weight, mounting, silent running, and confidence in Kessil. I’d recommend it.

I previously used a prior generation full spectrum "refugium light" from Amazon and had mediocre results. I haven’t tried the newer no-name photosynthetic spectrum refug lights that lots of people like, but I never seriously considered them since the H380 was the obvious choice for me. Not having to worry about build quality, efficacy, and electrical safety is worth a lot to me and I’m happy to pay for it. There is already plenty to worry about in this hobby :)
There is something to be said about that.

In my Reefer 250, I have two Avast MR10 media reactors each running with a 5M LED grow strip lighting from Amazon. Each strip takes up about 40W. Why two you ask? I didn't think 1 MR10 (about a gallon of total volume) was enough after buying one, I wanted more cheato in my system to help with pH at night, and I wanted more light to compete with my 80W or so in the display tank. Most likely, this is overkill.

db670fb5651727dde4d62acc934ebabd.jpg

Here's growth from when I had just set up one reactor in the system.

c8a2b60ce889a8fad55f4f9cf3a50bb8.jpg

And the lights used are:
https://smile.amazon.com/Lights-Vem...e_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=yo_ii_img

I also have an AquaMax fr-se media reactor (about 0.5 gallons) setup in my small frag tank using the same lights...Trimmed down to around 3M.

09b68d568f238a51e55b34632664905e.jpg

This is the growth from 10 days. About 3x what I started with.

140cdb06a73ad395e8595b90671d31c9.jpg

In my Reefer 250, I have two Avast MR10 media reactors each running with a 5M LED grow strip lighting from Amazon. Each strip takes up about 40W. Why two you ask? I didn't think 1 MR10 (about a gallon of total volume) was enough after buying one, I wanted more cheato in my system to help with pH at night, and I wanted more light to compete with my 80W or so in the display tank. Most likely, this is overkill.

And the lights used are:
https://smile.amazon.com/Lights-Vem...e_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&ref_=yo_ii_img

I also have an AquaMax fr-se media reactor (about 0.5 gallons) setup in my small frag tank using the same lights...Trimmed down to around 3M.

I have a similar chaeto reactor set up and I love it! My chaeto growth isn't as fast as yours but maybe because my tank is fairly new and not that much nutrient to export yet. Do you run your lights 24hrs? I only have mine on 8 hrs a day.. that could be the reason for the slow growth rate too.

I have a similar chaeto reactor set up and I love it! My chaeto growth isn't as fast as yours but maybe because my tank is fairly new and not that much nutrient to export yet. Do you run your lights 24hrs? I only have mine on 8 hrs a day.. that could be the reason for the slow growth rate too.

I light each one for 12 hours. My peak lighting period is 10am-5pm and my pH starts falling after 5pm so I run one from 5pm-5am and the second from 10pm-10am.

And the lights used are:

Whoa. I look forward to seeing that in person.

I can bring some chaeto to the meeting on Sat if you are coming. I have a red macroalgae mixed in, looks cool and grows well under my H380.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I can bring some chaeto to the meeting on Sat if you are coming. I have a red macroalgae mixed in, looks cool and grows well under my H380.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
That is too kind. Prob won't be there as I missed the thread on that. But I think RandyC can prob help out with that when I pick up a rock o' zoas later this evening.

Hmmm I got the MR16 reactor from AVAST a while back, originally used it for carbon to "de-yellow" the water. Maybe it's high time I think about wrapping some lights around it and calling it a chaeto reactor.

Back