Jestersix

kinetic Reefer 170

Sustainable Aquatics has a bunch of new ocellaris in stock. I was hoping to get all of them individually, but looks like there aren't any single mochavincis in a small size (only medium), but they do have a pair that has an established female I guess and a male that's small enough to blend in. Will this work? Who knows. I might pull the trigger...

1x MochaVinci Pair (1.75" and 1.25")
2x Fancy White - EXTREME
2x Fancy White Gladiator
1x Chocolate Midnight
1x Mocha (Caramel)

8 fish. 1 female, the rest males. Also thinking of just doing six, and not getting two of the fancy whites. The thing is, the fancy white extreme looks similar to gladiator, just the patterns are different.

Yeah my nitrates have been around 15-25ppm, but my phosphates were low until this last test.

Chaeto is growing pretty well. Skimmer isn’t doing anything. I’ll probably let things ride out a bit then add a CUC.

Think I should start up NoPo4-X again?

No with the nopox and if I followed the thread right, you only have 1 fish in the tank? Stop feeding one whole cube, that's way too much. Chaeto is growing well because you're feeding it cubes of mysis. ;)

No with the nopox and if I followed the thread right, you only have 1 fish in the tank? Stop feeding one whole cube, that's way too much. Chaeto is growing well because you're feeding it cubes of mysis. ;)

Yup you're right. I was way overfeeding to do exactly that, feed the chaeto haha. I'll be adding a mess of fish soon, so thought it would be good practice for the tank to get ready...

Well, my anemone is really coming out these days. Not hiding in a cave at night either. Won't eat any mysis though, even though i turn off the pumps and just lay down at least a whole cube of PE mysis.

36991613193_fc11f4f2c1_b.jpg

37613110826_46dae7a430_b.jpg

are red and green anemones considered rainbow?

I'm not sure? Whoever is selling me anemones just label them and I'll keep shouting it out =)

It used to have a lot more color. Both in the initial ebay photo (which was obviously a bit altered), and when I first got it. It since lost most of the color... It had some bluer greens, all the way to very peach tips. But now it's just green, tan, and kind of red.

oh ok, just wondering cuz I have a bunch of anemones with green base, red tentacles and white flecks, and always just called em "red bubble tip" look like yours

oh ok, just wondering cuz I have a bunch of anemones with green base, red tentacles and white flecks, and always just called em "red bubble tip" look like yours

No idea. I've seen the same thing @Kremis. I think they're all slightly different, and maybe at some point there was some lineage going on, but now any red bubble tip that has more than a couple colors could be called rainbow I'm guessing.

yeah, there is no way this is real

And you’d be wrong. I saw a couple at RAP. It was under standard reef lights. Reef Breeder or other similar Chinese black box lights if I’m not mistaken.

Problem with these is they can morph into a different color in your tank. So your $1500 bta could become a $30 bta.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How'd you get a pic of mine?

They only ever go one direction. It's always $1500 to $30 never $30 to $1500.

I thought you changed your mind about getting the magnifica. Is that back on the table?

Derrick (D-Nak) talked me back into it. I think I'll stick with this BTA, and a smaller magnifica. If it outgrows the tank, I'll either upgrade tanks (if I can) or sell it. Not the greatest future plan, I know, but I'm going to try it.

If I can't find one (I like) at a LFS or a nice one online in the next couple weeks, maybe I'll just sell a kidney and find a Colorado Sunburst BTA and call it done.

Derrick (D-Nak) talked me back into it. I think I'll stick with this BTA, and a smaller magnifica. If it outgrows the tank, I'll either upgrade tanks (if I can) or sell it. Not the greatest future plan, I know, but I'm going to try it.

If I can't find one (I like) at a LFS or a nice one online in the next couple weeks, maybe I'll just sell a kidney and find a Colorado Sunburst BTA and call it done.
Remember... $1500 to $30.

are red and green anemones considered rainbow?
I think the officialy unofficial lingo used is that it must have 3 different colors (i.e. not different shades of the same red, brown and white excluded too) to be considered a "rainbow" coral/anemone, so I'm guessing that if you hit that anemone with heavy blue light and nothing else that you might see a fluorescent pigment come out fairly brightly. Or, people just call it whatever they want because there's no coral naming police out there :D

yeah, there is no way this is real
And as Vince said, there are anemones that real, however I would be weary to paying any money on one without seeing it in person, as the ones looking like that are not that common and the sellers know it too and often want to get rid of it before it changes color back :D. The picture obvious has a ton of blue light on it, perhaps all blue light, a simple white balance on it might make most of the obnoxious blue go away in the picture and enhance the other colors as a result. So unless you see it in person, I'd always assume pictures like that are heavily manipulated (either via unrealistic lighting or camera trickery)

Definitely would not get 2 separate species for such a small tank. Lets be honest are you really going to upgrade tanks? after all the effort you put into this? But yeah, not the greatest of plans ;)

Definitely would not get 2 separate species for such a small tank. Lets be honest are you really going to upgrade tanks? after all the effort you put into this? But yeah, not the greatest of plans ;)

Yeah, I need to figure out the reality of things and make sure I keep on track with the goals here. Rather than add more work down the line, I want to keep this system stable, fun, and as stress free as possible.

I wouldn’t get a mag unless that is ALL you are going to have. No other nems, no other corals (maybe some down low but they will get stung) and limited fish.

You gotta LOVE mags (like dnak does) to do a tank like this.

Stick with the BTA, if you want clowns to automatically choose it as host, pick up some Maroons instead of perc/occ. You can have whatever coral you want but be prepared to combat the bta if it decides to go walkabout.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back