Jestersix

Looking for a large tank

comparing with a person standing to it

00r0r_7qn7d0x354c_600x450.jpg
yowza

Nice size and plan!
I like looking at my long tank, but it is a pain for flow, and you have to make the glass/acrylic a fair bit thicker.

Nice size and plan!
I like looking at my long tank, but it is a pain for flow, and you have to make the glass/acrylic a fair bit thicker.

Thanks. If I am not mistaken, it's 1/2" thick all the way around. And Eurobraced from the top and bottom.

I have seen a couple of big tanks with extra bracing at the bottom.
Mostly it gives a larger glue area bottom and front panel between , so front panel does not pop out.

Ordered it from Robert at Neptune Aquatics. Size: 72LX26HX30D Starphire front and two sides. Was tempted to go with 84X26HX30D, but wanted to minimize some of the cost.

@scuzy you're right. Crystal Dynamics is.
Wow. How many gallons does that come out to??
Have to ask the significance of the starphire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you mind sharing how much it came out to with those dimensions? I’m thinking of having a similar size built, but want to know what financial trouble I’d be getting into (with the wife lol)

Starfire is has low iron in the glass and is extremely clear. I’ve had people tell me run good carbon and you can’t tell the difference.. I had a 150 peninsula starfire glass on right side, front and back built. It was like the the fish were floating in mid air. Unfortunately it’s currently sitting in my garage empty because we moved into a smaller place so now I have a 90 gallon build with standard glass. Definitely a noticeable difference. When we move I want to go bigger than the 150 and like the feel of deeper tanks (30”+)

Starfire is has low iron in the glass and is extremely clear. I’ve had people tell me run good carbon and you can’t tell the difference.. I had a 150 peninsula starfire glass on right side, front and back built. It was like the the fish were floating in mid air. Unfortunately it’s currently sitting in my garage empty because we moved into a smaller place so now I have a 90 gallon build with standard glass. Definitely a noticeable difference. When we move I want to go bigger than the 150 and like the feel of deeper tanks (30”+)
Thanks. Good to know if we ever upgrade from our 90 gallon.

The thicker the glass the more apparent it becomes since you are thinking through more of it. To me 3/8” is about the 50/50 point where it’s more of a judgement call. Less than that and I don’t see the difference but more than that and it becomes more noticeable. I’ve also noticed that when looking at the glass with water in it I don’t see as much of a difference.

I have seen a couple of big tanks with extra bracing at the bottom.
Mostly it gives a larger glue area bottom and front panel between , so front panel does not pop out.
I’ve seen this in drawings but never in an actual tank.

Starphire is one of those things like acrylic, yeah it's clearer but if you are lazy with keeping algae/diatoms/etc off your glass/acrylic then it's a waste of money.

That said, I've had 1/2" regular glass that looked crystal clear after a good razor blading, does it look the same as starphire? Can't tell you, but what I can say is that as long as you don't know the difference you're better off, it's like that scratch that you never noticed but then the minute you do notice it you can't stop looking at it. Ignorance is bliss.

I'm still on my strike against CD though after the price they gave me for my tank, saying it needed all this extra bracing or 3/4" glass, and then not understanding what I was trying to get at with wanting to stick with 1/2" and willing to go smaller.

Roughly about 240 gallons. I really wanted a 300 Gallons tank, but the additional cost for lighting, sump, cabinet, etc... I'd rather spend that on corals. ;-)

Last edited:
Back