Neptune Aquatics

Live Brine Still Available Anywhere?

Hi folks ... long time since posting, but still active in the hobby. I was wondering whether any stores in the bay area still sell live brine? The ones that used to that I knew of are no longer around, but I imagine some must still set it. My QT inhabitants might appreciate some :).

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions!

AC usually gets brine in on Tuesdays. They had a small blip in stock a little over a month or two ago, but I've seen it there the last 3 weeks.

Tagging along - Does anyone feed something to or coat the shrimp to make them more nutritious?

And check out our new hatchery/egg separator some girls finished last week - we will see Monday if it works. Cover dark section, fill clear section with SW and put light over it, remove plug in center wall, unhatched eggs SHOULD stay sunken in dark section and eggshells SHOULD stay floating in dark section, while shrimp swim over to the light section. We shall see. (Sick of leaky 2L bottle screw-on thing and cleaning eggshells out of jellyfish tank.)
20171027_163745.jpg

And when yo buy them at a store are they usually gut loaded or just not that nutritious?
Brine shrimp and rotifers are not really that nutritious (think of them as an empty grocery bag). There have been studies as to exactly when/what to feed them to make them better. But as I understand it us hobbyists dont ever get the best strains. And no matter what you feed them, they will always be crud nutritionally.

Thanks guys - appreciate the suggestions. I have cultures of live BBS going, but wanted something larger and live to trigger feeding mechanism.

On a couple of the side questions, I do on occasion gut load BS or BBS with either Reed Rotigrow or rotifers that were loaded with Rotigrow. This is an easy to follow method as the Rotigrow will color up the rotifers and BBS / BS; when they show green bellies you know they're set to go.

Back