got ethical husbandry?

40g ADA move and upgrade

This is my main food I use:

Ocean Nutrition has taken twenty years of knowledge and expertise in making the world's best frozen foods and put it into a superior product line of flake foods.

The formulas and techniques parallel Ocean Nutrition's frozen food program. The freshest and most natural seafood and sea products are incorporated into a superior flake food. Ocean Nutrition flake foods are made with 50% fresh raw seafood!

Prime Reef Flakes is a natural blend of fresh, raw seafood. They provide an excellent source of pure marine protein from coral reefs and create an exciting flavor that marine tropical fish cannot resist! Also excellent for freshwater tropical fish!

Ingredients: Dried fish solubles, wheat gluten, fish meal, wheat flour, salmon, rice starch, fish oil, dried kelp, lecithin, squid, red 40 lake, mussels, brine shrimp, tuna roe, Vitamins [a-tocopheral acetate (source of Vitamin E), L-ascorbic acid (source of Vitamin C), calcium pantothenate, riboflavin (source of Vitamin B2), pyridoxine hydrochloride (source of Vitamin B6), niacin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K3 activity), folic acid, thiamine mononitrate (source of Vitamin B1), biotin, Vitamin B12 supplement, Vitamin A supplement, cholecalciferol (source of Vitamin D3)], citric acid (preservative), minerals (calcium carbonate, zinc sulfate, sodium selenite, manganese sulfate, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate), magnesium sulfate.

Guaranteed Analysis
Protein
60.7% min
Fat 14.5% min
Fiber 0.9% max
Ash 6.1% max
Moisture 5.5% max
Phosphorus 0.8% max

These are all high protein foods

[Back to top]

Blood Worms

• Very high protein levels.
  • Excellent treat for all aquatic pets.
Ingredients
Blood Worms, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
min. 65.0%
Crude Fat min. 5.0%
Crude Fiber max. 3.5%
Moisture max. 6.5%
Phosphorus max. 0.1%

Daphnia

• Excellent for use during medicating as a delivery agent, use afterward as an intestinal cleanser.
  • Excellent treat for freshwater and marine aquarium inhabitants (fish, soft corals, and anemones).
Ingredients
Daphnia, Vitamin E, Vitamin C, Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B6, and Vitamin B12.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
min. 66.0%
Crude Fat min. 9.0%
Crude Fiber max. 5.0%
Moisture max. 7.0%
Phosphorus max. 0.1%

Trying to get these chalices growing:
ce8f42ec8818a9bb5b15f4c9b4e649f4.jpg
7ec38f09d8716484d67a5ec9a71e19eb.jpg

I increased my feeding to increase my nutrients and it went way high (16 no3 (not bad) and .5 po4 (really bad)). I've since switched from various pellets 3 times a day to feeding LRS twice a day (up from once a day). You can also try harvesting your chaeto to a smaller size and or reducing the time your h80 is on. Whichever route you go, I'd go slowly. I think I tried to do too much too quickly and it got out of control.

In an attempt to speed up coral growth, for the past month or two I've been feeding corals almost every day (in addition to feeding fish pellet and flake) - target feeding Reefroids as usual 2x week, using Fuel and Acropower almost every day, and Hikari cyclopods about 2x times a week. I tried Hikari coral gumbo but it seemed too messy (I too can throw seafood into a blender.)

Nitrates are still zero but phosphates are 0.08 whether I do water changes, use GFO, or don't do anything. So, I'm going to just go without GFO since corals look better without it.

I figured that even though nitrates are zero, with all the feeding and adding major trace elements, it was time to let the alk drift up from 8.4 and back it down if I saw any bleaching or burned tips. I set the alk at 8.4 before to match Fritz salt and because nutrients were too low to support high alk. Now I'm trying to get alk stable around 11 dKh.

I'm definitely starting to see the chalices pick up in growth so far.

Also upgraded lighting from a 350W to an AP700 to reduce shadowing on the acropora.
87c353beeb102ad715f7190656089b52.jpg

I really like having a moonlight mode again and not needing a separate timer or controller for both LED pucks in the system:
70168511e5c25176b5e1b6a80af1d74c.jpg

I'm starting the lights on the usual time period but at only 16% intensity. Corals are happy so far.
785336ad052d49c44c40a917d8828959.jpg

Reactions: JVU
Good call on the light, that tank size really needs a spread out light source.

Unfortunately there's a lot of misinformation out there saying a Kessil light can cover a X by Y area and people take that at face value. Kris has shown how to make Kessil work over his tank, but he's got a lot spread out over the whole thing. The AP700 definitely is a great update choice for this tank.

A single Kessil 350W was more than adequate at 50% power for most things, but I just think acropora would do better getting illuminated from more than one angle. Here is the shaded back of a piece I accidentally knocked off the rock for example.
8a24b36ea26104b501f25d8af94277d6.jpg

To my horror I caught my emerald crabs spawning... hoping I don't end up with as many baby crabs as baby snails...

Last edited:
That’s so cool. It’s for sure not as messy as when the trochus do it.

That’s an awesome upgrade for your lighting too.
Yea it looks good on the 30"x18" footprint, there is a little spillover so it might fit a 36"x22" tank better, but the optics focus the light into an oval shape that makes more sense for rectangular tanks than the cans. I was looking at the 48x20x20 CDA easy reef setup for my next tank, but am now wondering if it makes more sense to get a 60x20x20 Red Sea reefer and add a second AP700.

I brought the AP700s from 16% to 18% max intensity over the last month, and will probably keep going up to 20% in the next weeks. The parts of acros that were previously shaded due to a single point source Kessil 350W now have more color and some baby polyps.

My next tank upgrade will be redoing the rock scape. I’m unhappy with the crowding, flow and mushroom population explosion in my current rock pile. My project over Thanksgiving is to carve a nice bonsai shape out of this pukani rock with branches to support acropora and places for fish to swim through:

d04231b118fa61ad13a656eb9bd6bfd1.jpg
10de57c77af515319b4bcb70547a6dbd.jpg
ac59074002d74bc2cd121a885127ebb9.jpg

So besides chisels, what else works? Has anyone tried a Dremel with any particular attachment to shape rocks?

Jack hammer? :)
It's actually beautiful as is. I have a few of those in my tanks.
Are you looking chisel the mid area to give a overhang ?

Back