Jestersix

Planning a tank swap / move

I am starting to plan a tank swap from a friends 110g cylinder to my new 120g. Thread Here

Here is my plan to date, would LOVE ideas/suggestions from the experts out here so I don't loose anything. I am moving from San Ramon to Dublin, so pretty close.

• Set up my tank here.
    • Sump/Skimmer/Chiller all coming from old tank so will plumb to temp tub for now
    • Add Live Sand
    • Heater
    • Powerhead
  • Begin to remove Live Rock from old tank
    • What is the best way to transport this, with LPS attached etc?
    • How do I remove Anems. - used to be that an ice cube "could" help, or can I just leave on the rocks?
  • Add LR to new tank
  • Remove Livestock
    • Several fish
    • Few Inverts
    • BIG clam, ~10"
    • Any suggestions for transport of above?
  • Float Livestock in new tank
  • Plumb in the sump etc.
  • Circulate until settled
  • Add Livestock
Please help me avoid headaches by pre-empting issues etc!

For whatever rocks that have corals attached, you can use 5g buckets that can seal nicely and prevent spills, just make sure water covers well the corals. If the rocks are too big for the buckets then the black bins that Mike points out are great for a quick transport but I must mention they are not water tight.
These same bins can hold the livestock for a while provided there's circulation of the water and a heater at the most minimum. If you decide to use a bin as a temporary holding place and if you plan on leaving it over a cold floor, use a piece of styrofoam under it to insulate from the cold floor
For the anemones attached to the rock, make sure the container they're being transported in has the rock secured inside so it does not crush the anemones and you end up with a big headache...

For whatever rocks that have corals attached, you can use 5g buckets that can seal nicely and prevent spills, just make sure water covers well the corals. If the rocks are too big for the buckets then the black bins that Mike points out are great for a quick transport but I must mention they are not water tight.
These same bins can hold the livestock for a while provided there's circulation of the water and a heater at the most minimum. If you decide to use a bin as a temporary holding place and if you plan on leaving it over a cold floor, use a piece of styrofoam under it to insulate from the cold floor
For the anemones attached to the rock, make sure the container they're being transported in has the rock secured inside so it does not crush the anemones and you end up with a big headache...
Thanks for the tips!

Back