High Tide Aquatics

Ph swing ranges

Forgot to address the other part of your question. Most mature tank pH will drift daily with no signs of algal growth and more than respectable growth. Sanjay Joshi is a good example of that with one of the fastest growing SPS tank and his pH ranges from 7.9 - 8.4 daily. pH is one of the least important factor when it comes to reefing.

Even on the reefs, the pH swings from 8 - 8.3 daily.

Forgot to address the other part of your question. Most mature tank pH will drift daily with no signs of algal growth and more than respectable growth. Sanjay Joshi is a good example of that with one of the fastest growing SPS tank and his pH ranges from 7.9 - 8.4 daily. pH is one of the least important factor when it comes to reefing.

Even on the reefs, the pH swings from 8 - 8.3 daily.
Good to know-thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How are you so low? I thought you were adding alk/ca with your vinegar?

Winter means my house is a bit too sealed up. So excess CO2.
The vinegar dosing drives the PH down.
I dose Baking soda, not soda ash or baked-baking soda, which also drives the PH down.

I did run a CO2 scrubber for a while. Pushed the PH up nicely. But media is expensive.

If it was a priority I would probably switch to Kalk. May someday...

I started with your formula 45ml vinegar + 3/4 tsp Kalk+2 + 1g RO and will tweak from here.

Will test Alk and CA when I get home this evening

I started with your formula 45ml vinegar + 3/4 tsp Kalk+2 + 1g RO and will tweak from here.

Will test Alk and CA when I get home this evening
Cool! You're putting the vinegar into a beaker and then adding the Kalk, Then stirring well and adding that to the ro?

Alkalinity (carbonate) is a pH buffer so higher alk reduces the daily pH swing and overall buffers it to a higher level. Other than Ca precipitating with alk and thus reducing the buffer, I don’t know how it otherwise affects pH.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I thought CA came out of saturation at around 450 PPM? I'm no Chemistry major though ...
It certainly does, because I just experienced it in my tank :(. Tank was opaque for a couple days until someone suggested I stop with my daily water changes. I did that and overnight the cloudiness disappeared.

Back