Kessil

Got my 180 Gallon Crystal Dynamics Tank Today

Well to be fair, you need to tell her "I'm thinking I need to change tanks" but don't go with any specifics, if she pressures you no need to lie just say "Yeah I think I need a bit bigger" then if you want to get crafty say "I could probably give a good chunk of change selling the old one too so it won't be as expensive"

I remember when I came home with my 30 gallon and spent $300. She was pissed. She was thinking more along the lines of $60. Now she just understands that lighting is just going to be $1600 or that coral she thinks is pretty is $60/polyp.

As long as you are taking care of the fam and not spending money you shouldn't be on it then all good really. Just make it look awesome and you're golden.

I perfer the old " what are ya talkin bout its always been there." Im trying to get $10K out of mine for that monster tank in Auburn ( 900 G ) now that would be sweet

Looks like the two center doors are hinged in the middle. So why not add a vertical beam in the font center just behind the hinges to support the cross beam?

I know u have two 2x8" criss beams glued together in the front. Would u have done 1 only knowing u could add a center support now?

Yea they are hinged in the middle, but the piece they are hinged on can be easily removed if need be. It is just pocket screwed into the plywood face. I did it that way so I can easily remove the sump or whatever down the road if i need to.

Sduvall81,

How much water change do you do monthly?

I am in market for a bigger tank but scared if having to do tons of water change.
When I switched from my 30 gallon to my 125 I stopped doing normal water changes. I actually set up an auto water change system because I didn’t want to deal with the maintenance. After having it run a couple months I shut it off and monitored it. The refugium has been able to keep up with the nutrient export; enough so that I even turned off my skimmer. :eek: The chaeto is now my sole means of nutrient export. I do add the Red Sea trace elements but that’s much easier than doing water changes.

My old setup was 120g dt, but i guess my refugium in sump was too small (4-5” wide compartment), and my skimmer was not working at its best. I ended up lots of algae in tank and some hardy soft corals died. I had to do water change 15% every 10 days. Lots of salt down the drain.

I guess if i have with a larger sump with a monster chaeto section, i may save on water change. Still debating....

I haven't changed water in 3 months. Everything looking good. I only do massive water change to remove unwanted like chloramine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back