High Tide Aquatics

First Tank!

Your description sounds like cyano. It is normally in every tank and is not harmful. It forms visible (ugly) mats under certain conditions that are not well understood (despite endless speculation on threads) but in general are more common in new tanks.

It is easy to suck out the mats with water changes if you want. Or you can blow them off rocks with a turkey baster and filter out with filter socks.

You should invest some time to figure out how to take good pics of your tank; it will be very helpful every time you post a question.

Your description sounds like cyano. It is normally in every tank and is not harmful. It forms visible (ugly) mats under certain conditions that are not well understood (despite endless speculation on threads) but in general are more common in new tanks.

It is easy to suck out the mats with water changes if you want. Or you can blow them off rocks with a turkey baster and filter out with filter socks.

You should invest some time to figure out how to take good pics of your tank; it will be very helpful every time you post a question.

That's what I spent tonight researching. How to turn my gfs camera into my reef camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve had good luck with chemiclean to get rid of cyano if that’s what it is. You should get a positive id on itbefore treating for it. I have quite a bit extra left over in the container from when I needed it if you want to come get some from me.

Also, I have tons of cerith snails if you want a couple dozen.

I’ve had good luck with chemiclean to get rid of cyano if that’s what it is. You should get a positive id on itbefore treating for it. I have quite a bit extra left over in the container from when I needed it if you want to come get some from me.

Also, I have tons of cerith snails if you want a couple dozen.

Thanks I appreciate it! But my biggest issue is not knowing how many snails I should get. Haha. I feel three isn't enough.

I'm in the process of getting better quality photos and than I'll be able to show with better detail the algae growth.

So. Tonight I spent just watching the corals and noticed some things about my hammer that confused me. I took some pictures of you guys wouldn't mind looking at and letting me know your thoughts.

First, when the lights are on I noticed the hammer part of the coral was discolored.
644198a93b7bb8ed29df4999b0531a0d.jpg

Second, with the lights off it retreated in a bit and noticed this other thing on its side. Kind of looks like a scar.

d4e5ddc4af384901bd310a87d1571f69.jpg

The discoloration is the latest fad/strain of hammer's and frogspawn. They're called mottled or bi-color hammers/frogspawn.

https://goo.gl/v4QZK4

Your second pic, unsure what you're talking about. Are you talking about the dark spot on skeleton flesh on right back side?

Well that's good to know it's a normal thing (the top picture) I was afraid it was getting to much light and dieing or something.

The red slice thing on the right side of the skeleton. I didn't know if that is the process of forming a new head or if my emerald crab decided to take some bites out of it.

Well that's good to know it's a normal thing (the top picture) I was afraid it was getting to much light and dieing or something.

The red slice thing on the right side of the skeleton. I didn't know if that is the process of forming a new head or if my emerald crab decided to take some bites out of it.

Red spot looks like coralline algae that grew before flesh extended that far down.

Last edited:
Hi guys! Been a few days since the forums have been working. So here's the latest update on my tank!

Got a little cleaner shrimp (smallest one they had) he's a pretty cool guy. Like to roam around and eat the food I drop for the clownfish.

d968df77817e37f74487e374be87acfd.jpg

Two days ago I got an anemone. And did a little "do it your self" project to make a box for it. So the anemone doesn't go roaming into a power head or over flow. And it allows me to keep him separate while I figure out exactly where I want my corals. Or maybe I'll put the corals in the box while I let the anemone find his comfy spot. Anyways here's some pictures. The box I made out of some plastic mesh I found at a hobby store and zip ties. And used my flipper to hold it against the glass exactly where I want it.

1b316e3cbe6808015294c87a5e65f6a7.jpg

3d2da51d107da96f1bdab84004643475.jpg

1d69652e9aaf637c553c2520063765ba.jpg

P.s. Yes I know it's to early for an anemone.

Too early? As long as you have stable water parameters, a BTA will do just fine.

When you finally let it out in the tank, it will roam around for a long time. Best thing to do is to guard all your powerheads so it doesn't get chopped up, and then let it roam around before getting any coral. If you don't have coral, it's going to be stress-free while it walks all over the place. If you have coral, it will just start killing things as it goes.

Let it settle down first, and not move for at least a month before having confidence it'll stay. And even then, there's no guarantee it won't up and move again.

My suggestion: let it out. Let it roam now and settle in.

Back