Our mission

Reefer 170 reborn

Is that disco I’m seeing on the sand bed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Yes, it's a disco - at the edges of the tank you can see reflection from glass edge, less noticeable in the middle. I heard some putting DIY acrylic diffuser - can look at it in the future. Not sure about the light spectrum also - looks a little too blue to me.

Lets see how it works!

IMG_0108.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting - I don't see disco with my eyes now but camera still captures it! Definitely less than before and I think it looks cool :)

Already in line for PAR meter. However, before I put diffuser this gave me 200-300 PAR which is overkill for what I’m planning to keep - softies/lps and couple montys on top.

BTW - this plastic (P95) characterized as “up to 92% light transmission”

Last edited:
Done - livestock moved back, so far only snails didn’t make it. unfortunately, most of the corals gone too - only softies/mushrooms survived.
Now its time for a lot of water changes and light adjustment.

The bad news - I lost couple survived mushrooms somewhere - gone with the flow in unknown direction. The only one orange ricordia glued to the rock stayed and I hope will stay there. The good news - I also salvaged some zoas I hope will survive and make garden - blue tubbs, rastas, hornets, sunburst, scrambled eggs, some other yellow zoas.

Tested everything and results looks really strange to me:

SG: 1.026 (calibrated refractometer)
Alk: 7.0 - ?!?
CA: 525 - omg
MG: 1625 - omg
NO3: 12

Mixed Fritz salt with RODI water, it didn't stay in the buckets - first mix was in the tank, and than changed about 25% water to lower nitrates. Still changing 5 gal/day to reduce nitrates but this doesn't look good to me. Any concerns? Does it worth to chase numbers? I read that Fritz sometimes has elevated CA/MG but that sounds too much to me. My box is not new - the batch is about 10 month old, still one large bag of salt - I heard the new one comes with smaller bags.

Regards,
Eugene

That's not terrible. I've been using fritz for 1.5 years now and i love the results. You don't have any corals to up take the calcium.

There’s a pretty long thread on here about the fritz salt mix. Most people were having trouble with the alkalinity dropping within the first 24 hours of being mixed. I think your test results fit with what others had experienced too.

There’s a pretty long thread on here about the fritz salt mix. Most people were having trouble with the alkalinity dropping within the first 24 hours of being mixed. I think your test results fit with what others had experienced too.

Any suggestions what to do?

No just a teaspoon will maintain it until it gets consume

thanks! Looks strange anyway - fritz is available everywhere but the params are so off that I think it makes sense to look somewhere else...

Back