Neptune Aquatics

First Tank!

The Maxspect gyres are fully controllable and in my opinion great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My understanding is the icecap and maxspect gyre are the same thing right? I believe the icecap is made by maxspect. But maxspect lowest is the 2 series that would probably be to much flow. Where as the icecap is 1k.

Anybody have a gyre so I can get a first hand review on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maxspect gyres and Ice Cap gyres use the same licensed technology but have different build quality and controllers.

Maxspect stated at one point that they wanted to have the Ice Cap gyres in the market as a low budget alternative to their gyres, not just a lower flow model in the same line. There is overlap in flow rates between the larger Ice Cap and smaller Maxspect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The icecap 1k has the ability to cap off one side of the gyre. And I believe can turn it down. I just can't find out how much you can turn it down.

I’m very happy with my XF250 maxspect gyres. First gen had a bunch of problems since corrected. I’ve seen some reported build quality issues with the Ice Cap version but not used it myself. You’re right that even the smaller maxspect XF230 would be overkill for your tank, but keep in mind they are quieter and more efficient when run at much less than their max speed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It's not that hard to recreate a gyre. I have two equal strength power heads on the left side of my tank. Creates the same effect

Last edited:
Some bad quality photos. But still some updates with how everything's looking!!

d0c42084bfcc81b46d9feb22de03d72f.jpg
67c374adf6e90e34a8d06e4582e5de55.jpg

Back