Kessil

Peter's Garage Tank

Also how often do you change your bulbs? What about nutrients? After you feeding them amino?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
T5 bulbs are 4 months old. I feed the system 3/4 tsp Coral Frenzy, 5ml Phyto, and 9ml each RedSea Energy A&B daily. Along with 1/2 cube frozen Marine Delight.
Perhaps I need to change to bulbs with a higher "K" rating?

Browning coral can usually be attributed to a couple of things: not enough light (e.g., lack of intensit or, lack of the correct spectrum) or high nutrient (NO3/PO4) levels

Corals that are paling/losing color can be because of a lack of nutrients (i.e., they're starving)

I'd start with looking at those things before doing anything extreme.

This weeks additions:
Superman Monti
Sunset Monti
Apple Berry Monti
Tropic Thunder Monti
Thanks Bob @tankguy
image.jpeg

And:
Reefraft Pink Lemonade
PC Rainbow
Wild Red Acro
Monti
And the cutest little bandit crab you ever did see
Thanks @Edgar Sandoval
image.jpeg

Last edited:
Browning coral can usually be attributed to a couple of things: not enough light (e.g., lack of intensit or, lack of the correct spectrum) or high nutrient (NO3/PO4) levels

Corals that are paling/losing color can be because of a lack of nutrients (i.e., they're starving)

I'd start with looking at those things before doing anything extreme.
Yeah, I believe it was pictures of corals in your tank that I have also that is really showing the color differences. I don't plan on doing anything drastic, everything is alive and growing. Just trying to get a little bit more color definition

Should I have taken them off? The ones in the pic. were just cut and given to me. Figured I would let them heal/acclimate to my system while I figure out a permanent home.

I always take them off immediately. Plugs are a source of nasty pests.
If they are not going in permanently, for grow-out, I usually re-glue them to a small piece of dry rubble.
Especially encrusting ones, since it looks a lot more natural to encrust onto rubble.

I really don't like the look of the frag plugs either. Several months ago we got a frag of The Vihn. It hasn't grown much but it started to encrust the frag plug. I didn't really want the look of the frag plug under it so we did a little bit of thinking and this is what we came up with:
image.jpeg

I took a piece of live rock and machined a cut out in it slightly larger than the frag plug that The Vihn is on. Then glued the frag plug into the hole. And now it should encrust nicely and you'll never see the edge of the frag plug. And the best part is I didn't really have to disturb the coral itself.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s a clever solution. But I just gently scrape or squeeze across the interface of the coral skeleton and the plug with bone cutters or a scalpel, and it generally just pops off with little or no damage to the coral. I’m always a bit nervous to do it, but it almost always works out well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Back