got ethical husbandry?

Peter's Garage Tank

Peter and I ran over to The Fish Doctor in Pacifica today. Really wasn't as far away as I thought (I should have come over sooner). It was really good talking to Mike. We had planned on just picking up a large colony of Purple Bonsai that was bleaching, but Mike set us up with not only the colony but we also got: a tort, Candy Cane, Space Invader Pectina, Digitata, some huge cloves, Green Slimer, Frogspawn, and probably a couple more that I am forgetting. Thanks @fishdoctor - we really appreciate you taking care of us! It took about 3 hours to get the corals into the tanks and somewhat organized. It will take several weeks to get it arranged properly. My tanks are all busting at the seams with corals.
Mark

A couple of pictures for Saturday. The old tank, the new tank, and Peter's bedroom tank
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

And just wait for all your frags to grow out and you will run out of room really fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I have to admit, my tanks would not be so full if not for the very generous members and sponsor of this club. My plan is to continue to grow out corals and give them away to fellow reefers, especially new members. I do recall when we first started reefing and how hard it would have been to get started without getting free corals along with the wisdom provided by members of the club. I plan to continue paying it forward and giving away as many corals as possible. Free/no strings attached except that they try to pay it forward to new members once they have an established reef.
Cheers! Mark

Last edited:
The pic. in the middle? I blew another ballast in that light this morning and then busted the pins on 2 of the tubes - rough morning. So I have ordered a couple of 15,000 ATI tubes and used some old ones for now.
I wouldn't say my corals are browning, they just dont have a lot color unless I shine the actinic flashlight at them.

Oh I have a case of coral plus 36" that I never install case I didn't like that it's too white for my hybrid.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Busy weekend with the garage tanks. A lot of corals coming in and going out. My hands are pruned and covered in Super Glue. The biggest issue that I am having is the cold air. When I get out to the garage in the morning the tanks are steaming like a hot tub in Tahoe. The steam is condensing inside the fixture and shorting out the ballast. I am on my 3rd one in a month. I think my best option is to lightly cover the area of the tank below the fixture until the cold spell is over??
Cheers!

Busy weekend with the garage tanks. A lot of corals coming in and going out. My hands are pruned and covered in Super Glue. The biggest issue that I am having is the cold air. When I get out to the garage in the morning the tanks are steaming like a hot tub in Tahoe. The steam is condensing inside the fixture and shorting out the ballast. I am on my 3rd one in a month. I think my best option is to lightly cover the area of the tank below the fixture until the cold spell is over??
Cheers!
At that rate you may want to go with a good led and say goodbye to t5.

Can you extend the wiring and move your ballast out of harms way?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Great idea! but the moisture is condensing and going into the pin socket and shorting on the housing. When the light is on it stays dry. but when I go out in the morning it is wet.

There is dielectric grease used on boats to protect electrical sockets from water. You can try to cover bulb sockets - it will not let water gets inside and short bulb. The ballast insulation is different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back