Our mission

Peter's Garage Tank

There is dielectric grease used on boats to protect electrical sockets from water. You can try to cover bulb sockets - it will not let water gets inside and short bulb. The ballast insulation is different story.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Genius!!!

I find it amazing how different the same exact coral can look different coming from two different tanks. Case in point, here is a tricolored tort. The one on the right is in my tank the one on the left I picked up today.
image.jpeg

That’s the great mystery. Will the light cause it to change color,... water chemistry,... husbandry,... the missing coral color fairy? If only we knew.
Well I am hoping to shed some light on that starting tomorrow. Having two almost identical tanks plumbed together, I am going to run a Mars Aqua 300watt LED over one and continue to run the 6x36" t5s on the other. Then I can compare like corals under different lights with the exact same water chemistry, feeding and such.

Well the new LED lights should be in today, and the more I read about LED lighting (and lighting in general) the more confused I am. I think I'm gonna start running with just blue for 12 hours a day. That's what Jason Foxx does so how bad can it be? Here's a couple pictures of the tank for reference. The acros on the top will be my test subjects. I have the same exact coral frag's in the other tank running T5s.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Light is in! Blue set to 60% for 12 hours a day. White channel is off.
Cheers! Mark
Fun!
Are those long term plans?

I would sacrifice a lot of coral growth to have a tank that looks nice.
I have seen some that look like someone shining a blacklight through windex. Good coral, but made my eyes hurt.
But not saying it is wrong. To each their own.

Fun!
Are those long term plans?

I would sacrifice a lot of coral growth to have a tank that looks nice.
I have seen some that look like someone shining a blacklight through windex. Good coral, but made my eyes hurt.
But not saying it is wrong. To each their own.
No long term plans, just playing with it a bit to find a happy medium and get a little more pop. The T5 that I replaced kept shorting out and it made the corals look like dirt.

I dialed it at 100 blue and 30 white

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I keep hearing horror stories of people killing their corals with too much LED. Gonna start slow. I was watching the Jason Foxx interview again today and he swears by only blue. Plus no white=no algae;)

I keep hearing horror stories of people killing their corals with too much LED. Gonna start slow. I was watching the Jason Foxx interview again today and he swears by only blue. Plus no white=no algae;)
I’ve never heard that algae needs white light or won’t grow on blue light. I’m pretty sure anything that grows coral can grow algae.

Not true.

Chlorophyll A absorbs wavelengths from 430nm to 662nm.

Chlorophyll B absorbs wavelengths from 453nm to 642nm.

Violent range is 380-450nm and blue is 450-495nm.

Perhaps it was an old wives tale? My blue channel is - 20 LEDs @ 450nm & 30 @ 460nm. I can tell you I like the looks of the corals under these lights more than the crappy T5 fixture I had.

In my experience where I ran full blue for a year, my corals had slow growth, after switching over blackbox with some white, the growth improved. Now after dumping the black box and switched to full kessils, I’m getting even more growth and using less electricity than the black boxes. But it’s just me not sure what others are experiencing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back