got ethical husbandry?

Randy's Innovative Marine 25 Gallon Lagoon

Picked up this rock flower nem a few weeks ago.

fe0985e3f3f441df8b317cb3624a4ce5.jpg

Moved the fat head dendros over from the Reefer 250 and they seem happy. They're going in size, but not seeing any new heads popping up. I guess the 1-2 spot feedings a week isn't enough. I broadcast feed a lot too.
1222e06cbf17382b12b3e463da60e2b0.jpg
Where is you get the flower anemone from?

Picked up this Indonesian wall hammer yesterday. I've never seen one like it. It's a marbled, bright yellow hammer with hints of green trim on the edges of the hammer tips. Pictures aren't capturing all the colors though...might need to break out DSLR and macro lens and see if it does a better job than iPhone.

55b980e3e20ebc61b729b0f397732b4c.jpg

6f04b9295ab32f5ff00a0e64050425c2.jpg

Day 130: Houston, we have a problem.

For the past month and a half or so, the tank has largely been running itself and doing very well. That was up until a week or week and a half ago. I'm am seeing some fairly signicant recession in 3-4 euphyllia and one that is showing signs of bleaching.

Water params look nominal

Alk 7.9-8.2
NO3 2.5-5
PO4 0.04

There haven't been any lighting changes for at least 2 months. I hadn't been doing many water changes as I was testing out my no water change plan with my calcium reactor I have installed, but it looks like I may need to nix that plan for now.

I plan to do some 20-25% water changes to get whatever funk out that's in there. My one year old has been messing around in the sumps the past 2 weeks and I'm hoping that's not the cause.

At the any rate, here's to hoping water changes help alleviate my problem. If not, I may need to send a sample in to triton to see if that can find any funkiness in the water.

While doing your no wc regiment, have you been dosing any trace elements? Theoretically the trace elements in the carx media should be enough but I’ve heard from others that they still had to dose trace elements to keep things happy.

You need to dose more than iodide and iron.

Do an icp test?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did triton testing on my reefer that's using the same carx media. I only saw that iodide and iron were missing after two months of no changes. What else are you dosing?

I’m using the Red Sea Colors additives.

They group different elements into 4 different groups and you dose based on 1) ca uptake or 2) testing.

I test and add accordingly.

I’m using the Red Sea Colors additives.

They group different elements into 4 different groups and you dose based on 1) ca uptake or 2) testing.

I test and add accordingly.

Did you actually see those elements are missing on an ICP test or blindly dosing based on Red Sea's formula?

Day 144: On the mend

The good news
I think the bleeding has stopped. Flesh recession and polyp bail out has stopped. The one that bleached looks to have stopped it's decline as well. Everything looks stable now.

The bad news
There have been casualties.

Partial losses: 1 head of Aussie Gold Torch, 1 head of Indo Gold Torch, 3 heads of neon green with purple stem hammer
Full Losses: completely lost a 4-head toxic/nuclear green torch.

Hopefully, the ones that had receded and are still hanging on will recover.

The bleached one
514A6BED-4FC3-4382-B836-9AFDCC135DB1.jpeg

Treatment wasn't anything special. Four to five 10% water changes over the last two weeks and a change in carbon. Other than that, I just let it ride.

Last edited:
Aquascape looks really nice Randy, makes the tank look a lot bigger than 25g. How are you liking the Radio XR 15 Pro Gen4?

Thanks! Love the lights. I have two xr15w over my Reefer 250 as well. They have done well so far for growth and bring out color in acros. The diffuser accessory is a must have...produces a great shimmer without a disco ball effect.

Back