Kessil

70G Shroom Tank and Workspace

Finally got around to finishing the stand for my dedicated shroom setup. (One of 2 builds that triggered my TDS thread)

Originally had a whole "pimp my ride" version of a tank stand build planned but wife was adamant that I don't skin the stand, even though this is in my version of a man-cave (detached office). So I had to can the drawer with work surface and storage for my fragging tools and plugs, etc. At least I managed to get my lounge chair in front so I can chillax and watch shrooms alk day... more on that later...

I did, however, extend the design at the last minute by another 12" width-wise to leave room for a grow out / experiment tank...or maybe I will move one of my other nano tanks next to it...(strongly considering my nem tank upgrade to go here).

I went with the usual 2x4 design with cross beams top and bottom, with a 1/2" birch plywood topper on each.

One coat primer and two coats semi-gloss black, plus a thick 1/4" yoga mat from Walmart cut to fit under the tank and sump for smoothing purposes finished off the structural setup for the primary system.

Planning on using the space below for my ATO reservoir, and might move my current shroom nano there for special grow out or QT.

Plumbing will be next...

Equipment:

70G acrylic frag tank , 3 overflow baffles + return
30G eshops sump
300W Fluval E300 heater
Jebao DCP3000 return

Haven't decided about whether to use a skimmer. Bought a vertex but may use this on my larger DT upgrade build (though found a 65G setup for a great price so may save $$ and go 65G vs the 85G setup, excluding sump... decided to give up my Red Sea 625 XXL dream to leave more room for other dedicated species tanks
.. but I digress)

SmartSelect_20180405-230728_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Wait until you see the lounge chair in front... the tank is eye level when I am sitting in it :)

I was working hard to beat the rain, and was exhausted by time I put the stand in. But when I sat in the chair is was very excited and glad I took the time to do the stand to my preferences... let's hope it holds up! I overkilled on the screws in the supports to add extra strength, just in case. Had some warped 2x4s that didn't quite cooperate.

I was tempted to actually make this a BTA and clown tank but with my recent shroom explosion and issues, I figured I better take care of the big cash sinks first!

Haven't decided yet but I may pull the light from my current setup that's a 65W Chinese disco ball looking thing... or might swap in my Aqamai LRM once I upgrade that tank to the 85G (or 65G... can't decide whether I wanna save some money and get a used 65G with stand for $300 no sump or 85G for $800 with sump) I might do both... lol. Bought two 20G during Petco's $1/G sale to build a dedicated nem tank with no showerheads or mechanical filters in the DT to save nems from being stupid... but the 65G is just easy and then use one of the Petco 20G Longs for the sump.

Real trick is figuring out which one will fit the rim of the tank... :/

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20180406-122324_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20180406-122324_Gallery.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 227
Wrestled with whether to install thread x thread bulks, thread x slip, and between tubing or pipe and think I will do a combination...

Cemented slip to avoid leaks and salt behind tank, and install tubing at the last "mile" point to and from sump... this way, I have flexibility to move sump if I ever need to without having a ton of extra work.

I originally wanted to either use colored PVC pipes or paint generic white ones... but running out of time. I have several shroom shipments coming in next week from cornbred and others and just added a bunch of shrooms over the weekend... so need my tank up and running ASAP.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Wrestled with whether to install thread x thread bulks, thread x slip, and between tubing or pipe and think I will do a combination...

Cemented slip to avoid leaks and salt behind tank, and install tubing at the last "mile" point to and from sump... this way, I have flexibility to move sump if I ever need to without having a ton of extra work.

I originally wanted to either use colored PVC pipes or paint generic white ones... but running out of time. I have several shroom shipments coming in next week from cornbred and others and just added a bunch of shrooms over the weekend... so need my tank up and running ASAP.

You probably know this already, but Neptune’s carries colored pvc in a variety of colors and sizes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don’t rush it and make mistakes!

You probably know this already, but Neptune’s carries colored pvc in a variety of colors and sizes.

Yeah, was looking at it and debating on keeping it local so I can get the plumbing done and unload my first batch of water... otherwise that's one more trip to make....and knowing me, yet more frags I come back with each time. Lol

I did decide though that I am gonna go Bean Animal for the overflow set up.

I did hem and haw betwee flex PVC and hard pipe but will go hard. And since the bulkheads are so close to the top, I will probably need to place the ball valves closer to the bottom versus right after the bulkhead...

Thankfully, tank is empty so can scoot the setup out a few more inches to make room for the extra piping.

After spending hours at Lowe's/ OSH / HD, I finally manage to get everything I needed to plumb... but after doing a test fit, I realized that there wasn't enough space for hard plumbing a bean animal without scooting up the tank more than I wanted.

Plus two of the elbows already installed in the bulkheads wouldn't come out, and I didn't have the time to get new ones to replace.

So, would up ditching a full bean animal and modifying it a bit to work with my setup / constraints. One full bean animal drain and happy mediums for the secondary and emergency...and using mostly PVC soft tubing.
SmartSelect_20180410-091755_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20180410-091813_Gallery.jpg

Aquascape-wise, I wanted to go with as much of a lagoon biotope as possible -- it is a shroom tank after all :). For starters I put two anchor rocks in the corners with one of them poking out of the surface...just need to be mindful of the water line in a power out so I keep shrooms below that.
SmartSelect_20180410-091739_Gallery.jpg

Did my first full and system test last night to dial in the sump and flow... everything looks pretty good!

Still need to figure out my light mounting situation with this eurobrace on the tank...

Here's a shot of what my tank experience is ultimately going to be... my favorite comfy chair from RH in front. And debating on whether to install a sliding working surface for working in front...or holding cold bevvies ;)

SmartSelect_20180410-091934_Gallery.jpg

Eye level shot, sitting in my chair :D

SmartSelect_20180410-091831_Gallery.jpg

That’s a lot of natural light that will come through.
Yeah, that's what I am hoping... it doesn't get much sun though. Left side is North, and the back of tank faces east but I have 3 redwoods right outside the block a lot of direct sun... though I actually wouldn't mind more direct light if it did come through.

I think the shrooms will be pretty happy. I am considering letting the majority of light be natural and then running blues at night only.

Will be worth experimenting

Borrow the par meter. You probably know this but algae loves that natural sunlight.
I do... I have other tanks exposed to similar light without issues so figure there's a good chance it will be ok...

Ironically, the tank that gets no natural light at all is algae paradise. Go figure.

For that I would probably put in an extra heater during window and maybe also run a space heater.... my office is about 120 sqft so doesn't take much to keep it warm.

I worry more about the heat on super hot days but that's true of all my tanks in the office. I have a 1/10 and a 1/15 chiller I was originally going to use on my other tanks but may reallocate one of them to this tank. It's not the right capacity admittedly but it might just squeak on by enough.

Couldn't decide on arrangement so for now grouped by electus/jb/kryptonites; discos; riccs; named bounces; bounces with potential; misc rhodactis ; st Thomas
SmartSelect_20180411-155905_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20180411-155922_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20180411-155936_Gallery.jpg
SmartSelect_20180411-155948_Gallery.jpg

Back