Cali Kid Corals

Can't help myself... yet another new tank build

Decided to pull the trigger on an 85G Aqua Japan deal I found on CL.

$800 for glass tank, stand, 95W LED lights and about 30G sump. Not a bad deal...

So figured why not. Originally intended on upgrading my Fluval 13.5G but having a hard time coming to terms with breaking down an awesome well-established tank.

Pics soon... just put the stand together and need to figure out plumbing.

It comes predrilled with 2 holes... one 2.25" and another 1.5" for a durso style drain and return. Contemplating converting that to a Herbie style drain setup and running a return over the edge instead... hmmm...

Decided to pull the trigger on an 85G Aqua Japan deal I found on CL.

$800 for glass tank, stand, 95W LED lights and about 30G sump. Not a bad deal...

So figured why not. Originally intended on upgrading my Fluval 13.5G but having a hard time coming to terms with breaking down an awesome well-established tank.

Pics soon... just put the stand together and need to figure out plumbing.

It comes predrilled with 2 holes... one 2.25" and another 1.5" for a durso style drain and return. Contemplating converting that to a Herbie style drain setup and running a return over the edge instead... hmmm...

Did you buy it from Aqua Lab?

Did you buy it from Aqua Lab?

I did.

Overall it's a nice tank... as I was building it, there were some minor complaints on some of the material production quality but nothing insurmountable.

The biggest hit was the tank is made from MDF...so a bit soft around the predrilled holes. In had to reinforce/repair a few holes with wood expoxy putty.

The MDF itself seems well coated though so don't expect to have much water damage shy of something catastrophic. Figured I can always build a new stand later if needed.

The tank and glass sump are nice though.

20180503_152955.jpg

I actually backed down from my original plans of getting a Red Ses 725XXL... :)

Wanted more room for my other tanks in my home office

You'll probably need to wait a bit for a 725xxl don't think that model exists u yet so good call :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, close... stand and sump setup and in place but can't get the tank moved.

Wife tried to help but she's too small, neighbors are either away, thinner than my wife, too old... a reefer's version of Goldilocks

Lol... almost got a random door dasher to help for $20 but no cash on hand.

...and too impatient to wait for other options but guess I have no choice...

So, close... stand and sump setup and in place but can't get the tank moved.

Wife tried to help but she's too small, neighbors are either away, thinner than my wife, too old... a reefer's version of Goldilocks

Lol... almost got a random door dasher to help for $20 but no cash on hand.

...and too impatient to wait for other options but guess I have no choice...
Where are you located?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If I can find some time to get away from the babies, I can help you. When are you around this weekend?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, suction cups would be awesome... was gonna get those forearm forklift things if bare hand doesn't work.

May ping chromis for the cups of I don't get a chance to pick up straps. Think those cups will hold about 250lbs? 1/2" glass 85G tank

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

If I can find some time to get away from the babies, I can help you. When are you around this weekend?

Thanks for offer! I am running a few pick up runs right now but will be home after 3p, I think.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hmm, it’s 250lb? Should really get those suction cups or a couple more guys.

Doesn’t really look that big in the photo...

Last edited:
Back