Reef nutrition

Fritz salt

I just made a batch last week. I added buffer (Seachem reef builder) I just happened to have an old bottle of this on my fish supply shelf. :D I haven't tested the water yet. But, tomorrow it will be exactly 1 week since i mixed it. I try to do my water changes on Thursday or Friday. I'll test it then. Hopefully, the @fishdoctor is right about just adding buffer to keep the alk stable.

I switched back to IORC. Alkalinity with Fritz was never stable for me after making 3 batches. It would drop down to 5 or 6 dkh within 48 hours.

Last edited:
Definitely good polyp extension compare to rc for me. Ther bucket is cleaner that's it. I don't dose so can't day about parameters. I run my calrx at 20ml/min and my kalk reactor handles the rest

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Just did 18 gallon mix. 7 cups Fritz, 2.25 cups IO.

Salinity 1.0255-1.026 (Refractometer and Milwaukee). Alk 8.5 (Hanna). Ca 430-440 (Salifert). Mag 1420-1440 (Salifert) ... shut off pump, brute lid on, will check back storage results on Monday.

I broke my arm so haven't been doing much maintenance, but I just tested this batch of water, which has been sitting for almost a month, and it only dropped to 7.0 dkh. I'll do more of IO ratio next time, maybe 50/50. Anyways, the buffer solution seems good too, I just don't have any on hand. Overall, Fritz has a buffering issue which I'm not sure how easy it is to resolve on their end.

843ea4becd2a302a44c2ac262c3ad615.jpg

Looks like they coming out with something new.

So their box is now red instead of blue?

Really makes you wonder though if this is some new formula and they were claiming that their old stuff was great, then how great was it really?

Used only this salt on a large system for over a year now without dosing and the parameters hold. The parameters on the mixing station are steady for long term, as well.

Used only this salt on a large system for over a year now without dosing and the parameters hold. The parameters on the mixing station are steady for long term, as well.

I have no issues using this salt either.

Well the red one has higher alkalinity 10-12dkh, which they state gives more growth for SPS.

I wonder if the red solves the alk drop during storage issue. Actually, if it drops from 10-12dkh to 8-9 dkh and holds steady there, that would actually work out lol.

I think there is a whole other discussion about alkalinity and SPS. Typically higher alk increases calcification, but if you run low nutrients, you may get burnt tips from the sps not building the tissue fast enough.

Well the red one has higher alkalinity 10-12dkh, which they state gives more growth for SPS.

I wonder if the red solves the alk drop during storage issue. Actually, if it drops from 10-12dkh to 8-9 dkh and holds steady there, that would actually work out lol.

I think there is a whole other discussion about alkalinity and SPS. Typically higher alk increases calcification, but if you run low nutrients, you may get burnt tips from the sps not building the tissue fast enough.
I think BRS is trying to test that theory now.

Back