got ethical husbandry?

Durso overflow question

Hey guys! So I’m trying to figure out how to set up a durso overflow. It seems to gurgle a lot. Make lots of noise. And bubble in the sump a bunch.

I’ve tried some ideas I found online of a air hose out the top. Or a ballvalve on the bottom.

In the end. I don’t know what I’m doing. So any advice would be really helpful. Tonight after work I can upload some pictures or videos of what I have going on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You actually want to use a gate valve instead of a ball valve for the minute adjustment. Close off the valve a bit so that it's no longer producing bubbles. You basically want to flood the primary drain so that there's no air in it.

5f50408697e1eed560d93ea87acfcd55.png

Oh, 1 drain. Disregard my previous comment.

Pics of the durso and how it's currently set up would be useful.

The airline trick can work well. I used a 3/8 rigid poly tube fed down a 1.5” drain line. About three quarters down there was a sweet spot of silence.

I got it pretty quiet by turning the ball valve and restricting the flow into sump. But then the pump emptied the sump. So I filled it with more water and it almost over flooded the tank. So I quit that idea.

Granted this is all with a m1 at lowest setting.

Have you tried to ramp up the return pump so there’s more water to fill the drain and no air goes in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Have you tried to ramp up the return pump so there’s more water to fill the drain and no air goes in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Tried it and it runs the return section of the sump dry. After almost over filling the tank I’m afraid of pouring in more water. I have no idea what flow strength I should try to dial in.

I got it pretty quiet by turning the ball valve and restricting the flow into sump. But then the pump emptied the sump. So I filled it with more water and it almost over flooded the tank. So I quit that idea.

Granted this is all with a m1 at lowest setting.

You need to make small adjustments slowly.

Open the ball valve and run the pump.

Close the ball valve a little and walk away.

Come back and close it a little more.

Rinse repeat.

What you want is to have the flow from the drain equal the flow from the pump with the drain full of water.

None needed if the durso is set up correctly. The water level in the overflow box should be up to the elbow and the air line would be used for the silencing. A pic would really help.

Drill hole in cap, pass tubing down until you find the silent sweet spot. I mentioned rigid tubing earlier so that it doesnt flip back on itself unintentionally

Dont mess with return flow because it would very difficult to achieve long term balance. And this is how older style overflow boxes fell short

Durso still create a toilet-drain vortex and suck air occasionally

Be careful with valves. My silent - failsafe “bean animal” drain (essentially two dursos and a standpipe) ball valve gets plugged up 1-2s a year and im thankful for the back up drain

Back