Neptune Aquatics

Go Steinhart! No more needles!

That’s awesome. Smart and practical. Cool that some of us just met Matt on the tour too.

And when they get the fish back, they can use the canister to make more RO/DI water :)

Wow. Very interesting read. I always wondered how fish were caught in deep water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Normally (and I assume still mostly for collections for the aquarium trade) they are collected literally with a net and a hallow needle. As the fish is brought to the surface it's swim bladder is punctured with a hollow needle to keep it from exploding......

Normally (and I assume still mostly for collections for the aquarium trade) they are collected literally with a net and a hallow needle. As the fish is brought to the surface it's swim bladder is punctured with a hollow needle to keep it from exploding......

Haha. I’ve never understood the net part! It’s hard enough to catch a fish in a small tank. And seems impossible in open ocean. I’m going to YouTube some videos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New invention? Matt built one of these back when he worked back there, guess it's a commercial thing now?

and is used by scientific divers to collect
I'd hazard a guess that ornamental collection far outweighs the scientific collection, so needles are still going to very much be a big thing. Look how long it took for collectors to see that cyanide collection is actually very bad for their livelihood... and how many STILL use this method. Yeah I'm being the super pessimist here because I have a very low expectation of people doing the right thing.

Back