Our mission

Reefer 170 reborn

Sorry to hear about the clown. When I had a small group in my 170, I would hear a splat once in awhile and find a clown had jumped out. I was so lucky to have been there. Anyway, I got a custom made OctoLid.

If you lost the little clown then the remaining clown is female. With the size of the tank you could add 2 clowns but do not add a bonded pair or the old female and the new female will battle it out. How ever many you add just be sure you do not add the biggest from the group they come from to be sure all the added fish are males.

Made a rookie mistake and bought coral without research - LFS told that its photosynthetic but I think it’s not:

0f783e0b2b892918fce836a174cb44f0.heic

IMG_0458.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Pink orange carnation coral (Dendronephthya sp.). Definitely non-photosynthetic and needs to be heavily fed with the appropriate food.

Reactions: JVU
Not sure if that's possible. Most stores don't allow you to do that. You can try to argue that you were mislead into it being photosynthetic and see what happens.

My corals don't look good and I was wondering why - took a ICP test and guess what? Water is too clean - 0 nitrates, low phosphates, lack of some essential elements!
Here is the link to test results: http://lab.atiaquaristik.com/share/f84dc2469c1f802ad2c6

ATI recommends
Add bromine and strontium. RO results will follow.
Following ATI supplements should be applied in order to provide a stable water quality:
  • Brom supplement per day 29.75 ml for 5 days
  • Strontium supplement per day 25.32 ml for 3 days
  • Vanadium supplement per day 0.84 ml for 1 day
  • Mangan supplement per day 0.88 ml for 1 day
  • Iod supplement per day 0.25 ml for 3 days
  • Fluor supplement per day 20.40 ml for 5 days
Now the question - what would be easiest way to get and dose those elements?

Will do, it surprise me - I’m changing 5 gal per week in 40gal tank , fritz salt - should be enough to replenish loss if salt has enought, isn’t it?
Anyway - should I look at changing something besides water changes?

Last edited:
No chemical filtering - only skimmer and 1 ml/day NoPox - it’s less than half recommended maintenance dose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any reason you're continuing to run NoPox if you're bottoming out on nitrates/phosphates?
To keep phosphates low - so far it's stays constant 0.03 for half a year, and I feed a lot! IMHO it shouldn't affect micro elements like Iodine,Strontium,Fluoride etc.

I feed a ton too and my phosphates drift up. However, I don't worry about it and just let it do its thing. I rather let it drift up to detectable levels, alongside my nitrates, than to worry about starving the corals. My AFS goes on 1x a day and I feed 6-7 cubes of frozen on the weekdays. On the weekend, the AFS kicks in twice daily.

Still bottoming out on nitrates at 0.2 ppm and phosphates at 0.03 ppm. Can't seem to grow chaeto either at the moment.

With big water changes like that, and not running carbon/gfo/etc, your trace elements
should basically match your salt mix.
My opinion : Don't worry about the trace elements. But if you want to, you may need to switch salt mix.

Corals look pretty good to me!!
But dosing Nitrates is easy (potassium nitrate or calcium nitrate) if you want.

I am not sure I would drop nopox suddenly. Slow changes.

Back