High Tide Aquatics

Hello everyone!

Hi everyone! I've had a 40G tank for years out here (recently upgraded to a 75G earlier this year though, yaaay), but didn't know there was a dedicated forum for hobbyists out here.

I'd post pictures of my tank but I recently committed the cardinal sin of trying to change too many things at once and have a bit of an algae bloom at the moment. Whoops.

Hopefully I'll get to come to some of those monthly events, though I'm going to have to miss the August one due to previous plans. Looking forward to future ones though!

Cheers,
-Chris

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

The tank was picked up second-hand off of craigslist, a 75G with stand.

I seem to have somehow not taken any pictures of the tank itself before anything was put inside, which is pretty silly since it sat there cycling and then cycled for months (I was lazy in moving things from the 40G)!

I do have some pictures from planning though. Here's the sump:

RBl8OPm.jpg

It's got a large refugium chamber and then a section for the skimmer, with a bubble trap before the return pump. I kinda haphazardly glued it together myself. I got the acyrlic from TAP plastics, didn't save any money over just buying a premade but it was fun to put it together.

Here was my planned scape, that I took a picture of try to recreate in the tank:

UqoJdFH.jpg

Came out mostly okay in the tank, and then a few rocks from my previous 40G found their way in.

I'll see about posting a picture of the tank as it is now later.

Welcome. And nice hardscape.
Thanks! I wish it ended up looking just like that in the tank -- unfortunately I mixed up some rocks in the live scape.

Well the sump looks spiffy as all hell. I really like the white acrylic.
Thanks, I like the look too. I had this idea that the white walls would reflect more light on to the tumbling chaeto -- as it turns out the chaeto didn't tumble, and quickly grew to fill the entire chamber like one of those expanding dinosaur sponges. Oh well. I'm pulling out a huge bunch every time it starts to hang off the output side.

Thanks! I wish it ended up looking just like that in the tank -- unfortunately I mixed up some rocks in the live scape.

Thanks, I like the look too. I had this idea that the white walls would reflect more light on to the tumbling chaeto -- as it turns out the chaeto didn't tumble, and quickly grew to fill the entire chamber like one of those expanding dinosaur sponges. Oh well. I'm pulling out a huge bunch every time it starts to hang off the output side.
Yeah, I never found tumbling to be very realistic.

Back