Reef nutrition

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say hi -- just joined the forum after I inherited a 65 gallon FOWLR with quite a colony of mushrooms (rodactis sp.?). I'm looking to start introducing some more corals and augment the reef over time! Right now, inhabitants include a sailfin, a pair of ocellaris, a coral beauty, a six-line wrasse, a flame shrimp, and a coral banded -- along with assorted hermits and snails. Luckily, the tank is fully-cycled when I received it (just did my first water change!). Readings seem almost within normal/ideal ranges:

Temperature 78
Salinity 1.023
KH 7.5-8
CA ?
MG ?
pH 8.4
Phosphate ?
NO2 (Nitrite) 0.3mg/L
NO3 (Nitrate) ?
NH3/NH4 (Ammonia) 0 ppm

I think the test kit is old so I might need to get my water tested again soon with a fresh kit. Any advice would be appreciated! Have had FOWLR tanks over a decade ago, so basically brand-new to the current hobby and new tech! Look forward to meeting everyone at events :)

Welcome! Your fish inhabitants are pretty much coral friendly. You'll want to monitor your nitrite (NO2) to make sure it comes down. Best with a fresh test kit.

Welcome! Your fish inhabitants are pretty much coral friendly. You'll want to monitor your nitrite (NO2) to make sure it comes down. Best with a fresh test kit.
Thanks, Will! Yeah, I figured that would be best considering the reagents are probably too old/concentrated with evaporation and whatnot.

Photo???
Where are you located?
I'm based in San Francisco. I've attached a picture of the tank here; it's pretty barebones currently. Some additional details -- it has a sump, protein skimmer, and bio-balls/filter floss that I am working to convert to a refugium set-up. Any advice or thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_3582.JPG
    IMG_3582.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 406
Welcome. That fish looks pretty big for that tank.
Yes, it's overgrown -- but had sentimental value to its previous owner (the fish and tank have lived as one for ~14 years). Maybe I'll upgrade to a larger tank, or pass him onto someone who can give him a good home; still deciding on that!

Back