got ethical husbandry?

Fun Topic -- (ugly) things that folks pay for...

Saw this on eBay and thought it would be fun to start a thread for things folks pay for just because it's "rare" and usually ugly/funky...

Here's my entry ...coming in at $13K...
4a3f9e41662a40380605db47f1949b59.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

A couple things caught my attention. First, it list it as "mature". That to me sounds like it's not going to live much longer. The other thing is that they threw in the free shipping. That's the least they could do.

Is it just me or do the fins look a bit tore up?

Okay, I obviously do not know about designer clownfish breeding, but I thought clowns choose a mate based on appearance. Is this attractive or even familar looking to a clownfish?

It's way prettier than the fugly long-fin clowns they sell for a a fortune.
There was a pair on DD for $299 + 20% off the other day... I don't like the long fins, but the fins looked like flames which were kinda cool...

At least those two on DD were easy on the eyes... every time I look at this eBay listed mugshot, I get a lil sick...

Nature is not friendly!
And people are?

But back to the original point.
Culling undesirable Clownfish does seem to have some ethical issues...
If you are simply breeding clownfish, and removing the sickly that will die anyway, that is one thing.
But now that "designer" clownfish are in, that is not really the case.
You are more likely to get rid of the healthy normal ones as undesirable.
So it is purely culling based on looks.

Or, you give them a second life through creative marketing ... and making huge profits a la PT Barnum. ;)

Speaking of clowns, there's markup on "smudgy" ones as well. Smudgy just looks like their coloration and patterns are totally messed up.

Sounds like the flooring industry. At times they will buy up entire forrests and mill up the trees and select all the grade A lumber for their select flooring. Then they’ll take the lesser grade lumber that has a bunch of color variation and knots in it and sell that flooring for sometimes more than the grade A flooring; marketing it as having character.

Back