Cali Kid Corals

Making fish food cubes...

Klems

Supporting Member
Who else has decided to make their own fish food? I make mine with salmon, scallops, shrimp, clams, Reef chili, and some cubed mysis shrimp.... Along with a few drops of garlic juice and tank water.

126 cubes ready to go into the freezer.

Attachments

• IMG_20180122_111906282.jpg
    IMG_20180122_111906282.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 469
  • IMG_20180122_114353558.jpg
    IMG_20180122_114353558.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 460
I make my own every now and then;
Selcon soaked freeze dried cyclop-eeze
PE Mysis
PE Calanus
Fresh clams
Fresh shrimp
Fresh oysters
Nutramar Ova
Live (not for long) blackworms
Shredded Nori
Fresh fish (usually snapper)

I usually buy the frozen seafood packs at the grocery store. Octopus, squid, shrimp, clams. I get some salmon to throw in. Some reef chili, selcon and a little garlic.

Chop into big chunks then pulse in the food processor a few times to get bits of food but not smoothies.

I have the same little white trays as above but they are a pain. I've been thinking about printing my own freezer trays with ocean shapes (my daughter helps me feed the tanks). At least bigger cubes, with 25 fish in the house, we go through a lot of food.

My first attempt was puree, didn't work out too well. What is selcon? Can't seem to Google it.

Edit: Selcon, found it...it's vitamins.

Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I bought the trays but never made it myself. I ended up starting to buy LRS and the fish love it so I figure why try to reinvent the wheel.

I bought the trays but never made it myself. I ended up starting to buy LRS and the fish love it so I figure why try to reinvent the wheel.
When I started making food, I just copied his ingredients list. I obviously don't know what the ratios are but it's a lot cheaper than buying his stuff (I love it, but it's not cheap)

Do you shut off your return pump while feeding diy frozen food or LRS?

Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Ran to Neptune's today to pick up LRS Reef Frenzy. It's pretty obvious that the fishes really liked it on first feeding. The cost is about $21 per 8oz. I can see how this can get expensive. If I fed once a day with LRS, I might be able to last 30 days with 12 oz (package and a half), estimating cost at $30.50 month.

I fed once a day and didn’t have that many fish so it lasted long enough that a felt it had value.

When I started making food, I just copied his ingredients list. I obviously don't know what the ratios are but it's a lot cheaper than buying his stuff (I love it, but it's not cheap)

I watched a video about his ingredients and he claims that because he buys so much that he is able to ask the fishermen not to use sodium phosphates (I think that’s what it is). He said nearly all seafood that you buy in the store has this added to act as a preservative.

I was surprised to find out how fresh it is too. He said by the time we feed it to our fish it could be less than a week previously that it was swimming in the ocean.

We are lucky that we live in the Bay Area. My wife catches rock fish, ling cod, and dungenous crabs in the ber months. We have easy access to Tomales Bay Oyster or Bodega Bay Oyster Co for live oysters, mussels, and clams. If there’s enough interest, let’s make some fish food.

Back