Cali Kid Corals

2018 BAR's Swap Bonus/Ultra Coral List

Good point John, and for the individual bringing the coral, if they bring 3 - 1 head frags versus 1 - 3 head frag they still get the same reward for doing essentially the same, maybe a little more work to squirt two extra dabs of glue on 2 more frag plugs, but ultimately they're not giving up more to get less.

These are good conversations to have now while its still fresh in peoples memories, that way the next frag swap this occurs we don't simply go "oh hell I don't remember work worked lets just do the same thing " :D

That's funny because I was thinking of posting just the opposite. Is it better to promote better husbandry of 3 polyps rather than just 1? Is a single polyp more likely to die compared to 3 together? We don't allow microfrags of other corals. Is a single zoa polyp equivalent to a microfrag or is it more a case of apples and oranges?

That's funny because I was thinking of posting just the opposite. Is it better to promote better husbandry of 3 polyps rather than just 1? Is a single polyp more likely to die compared to 3 together? We don't allow microfrags of other corals. Is a single zoa polyp equivalent to a microfrag or is it more a case of apples and oranges?

That’s the reason I like more than one head. I frag 1 and let them grow out...I always feel better about selling or swapping a healthy growing frag rather than one just cut recently

But I do also like the idea of more frags bring available to more people.

This is all great feedback. I will start a new thread to discuss the list of Bonus/Ultra Zoas and another one for SPS and LPS. I think it would be great to get this nailed down now rather than waiting until the members swap.

Maureen that's a great point. My view is that a single polyp, if it's attached to whatever frag plug is not an issue, it's when someone just glues it to a frag plug right before the event where it stays closed up that the real question of survivability comes up. Now I know for things like zoas they grow relatively fast compared to sps, but I don't know if they ALL do that, there could be a single "sunflower" of a zoa that looks magnificent but doesn't make babies very fast, so ... yeah. Same thing with tiny 1/4" nub frags, you know they were fresh cut (leave that argument for some other time :D) but you could have a 1/4" nub that has a rather large puddle that it grew on the frag plug which showed that it's been there a while and could be considered "healthy".

So yeah... I dunno :D

I will say, I’ve had one polyp of purple hornet for 6 months with no babies...

But I bought 1 polyp of buttkisser from Cali Kid at the CFM and it’s got 6 heads already.

I’ve had multiple successes with 1-polyp zoas, and I much prefer them to the 0-polyp alternative I get when someone else picks the single rare 3-polyp frag :)

It is strange and in my opinion counter-productive to have 1 polyp be bonus (so 3 would give 1 bonus ticket) and 3 polyps be ultra (so would also give 1 bonus ticket).

The club would be better off with 3 frags of 1 polyp rather than 1 frag of 3 polyps, so why would we encourage the later?

Clearly, RR Pink Diamonds were set up that way for this last swap, so this was an (innocent) mistake. I’m just saying for next time, this approach doesn’t make sense to me, since we are trying to encourage broad propagation of corals.

100%, and I think in the end it all worked out because I purchased the Pink Diamonds (thanks btw Chris, they are really nice) because I was outbid for the auctioned ones, not to mention it was a 4 polyp frag and thus had a better chance of surviving, so bringing additional pieces to potentially sell to other members still works out for everyone involved IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100%, and I think in the end it all worked out because I purchased the Pink Diamonds (thanks btw Chris, they are really nice) because I was outbid for the auctioned ones, not to mention it was a 4 polyp frag and thus had a better chance of surviving, so bringing additional pieces to potentially sell to other members still works out for everyone involved IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad you like em Steve!

It's probably a close representation of the bonus list, yeah. That is of course assuming that there are bonus corals for any swap that comes up.

Yeah I wonder if we should just get rid of bonus ultra rounds and let people potentially get lucky. We would have to somehow keep some people from getting ”butt hurt” if they bring nice corals and don’t find any themselves during the swap.

Maybe we keep it the same but don’t put the red dots on the bonus corals so they are harder to find? Just brainstorming here. Sorry.

Don't get me wrong I wasn't advocating removing the bonus corals, just saying if there is a last minute/ socially distanced event it may not occur the same as past events

Let’s see if we can actually make something happen here first before we worry about bonus corals. I would think we would likely update the list and do them as normal.

Back