Neptune Aquatics

Glass tank drilling

I order two low boys and I want 2-3 holes drilled. Anyone have experience? I’m more than willing to pay someone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well couple of ways. Side panel Two holes same level and another for emergency higher than the initial two.

Other option is to drill the bottom with 3 holes for return, drain and emergency.

How do you plan to do it? Overflow? Return in the 2nd hole?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I stacked my lowboys so I can save spaces and mine are drilled on the side with internal overflow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will not be able to help, but drilling wasn’t that difficult if you get right tools and patience, with some tips.

I have the drill guide you can borrow. My drill bits may be different size though.

I watched youtube, practiced a few holes on scrap glass (ruied the first drill bit real quick as I got impatient real soon).

If power drill fits, drill from inside the tank toward outside, since entry surface is always cleaner than exit. Start with reverse revolution to avoid skipping.

Tape the exit surface, to minimize small broken glass as the bit exits. Go really slow at the end, when patience is the thinest.

I took frequent breaks, and did 3 holes over multiple days.

I will not be able to help, but drilling wasn’t that difficult if you get right tools and patience, with some tips.

I have the drill guide you can borrow. My drill bits may be different size though.

I watched youtube, practiced a few holes on scrap glass (ruied the first drill bit real quick as I got impatient real soon).

If power drill fits, drill from inside the tank toward outside, since entry surface is always cleaner than exit. Start with reverse revolution to avoid skipping.

Tape the exit surface, to minimize small broken glass as the bit exits. Go really slow at the end, when patience is the thinest.

I took frequent breaks, and did 3 holes over multiple days.
3 holes over multiple days?
That’s lots of patience.

Back