Kessil

Be safe and tell your kids to be safe

So a few rough edges in life...
My son and another kid were robbed at gun point, a half block away from the school, broad daylight; two thugs took his iphone and airpods and demanded he deactivated icloud...
We are glad he’s OK; I keep on telling him how to be aware of his surroundings but he tends to not listen much to my advise...
Tell your kids not to immerse their minds into a small screen and always be aware of where they are walking.

Damn, sorry to hear that.

But seriously deactivating icloud? So I guess you can't track the phone or something? God damn criminals turning into tech support gurus.

They can still tell apple to remote lock, or carrier to remote lock. But my fear is that the robber knows where your son hangs out and will come back for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I say the same thing. Beware of your surroundings. We had a attempted rape less than a mile from our place in Hayward. She was stabbed. Scary times

Sorry to hear that. I’m keeping my kids away from shoot-em-up movies and games because I think the glorification/gamification of gun violence is at least partly responsible for the bad behavior many Americans develop around guns. I had to stop watching the Spy Who Dumped Me because of the gratuitous violence and even the kids cartoon Incredibles had an excess of gun and other violence. I really wish as part of all the restrictive bills people want to place/blame on gun control, someone would give movies gun ratings - the number of people who are shot during the movie.

sorry to hear about this Mario. what school was this? i recommend posting on nextdoor to see if there are any neighbors with camera footage. there was some crime around my neighborhood recently and after a posting on nextdoor with camera footage released, many people came forward to help. the perp was arrested....but then released. i haven't seen him in our neighborhood since though.

Dang! That stinks.

Unclear if things are really getting worse though, or if you just hear about it so much easier.

Get the EMEI number from your carrier when you report it stolen.
You might be able to lock it through icloud.com.
I think there are some ways to get it blacklisted, plus put on a list if it is ever found.
Should be info online for all of that.

We are glad he’s OK; I keep on telling him how to be aware of his surroundings but he tends to not listen much to my advise...
Tell your kids not to immerse their minds into a small screen and always be aware of where they are walking.
Glad nobody got hurt. Awareness is a priority.

With so much gun violence nowadays, one of my kung fu students recently had to go through an active shooter training at his workplace.

During a roleplay, the majority of his coworkers ran from the shooter. He instead immediately went for the shooter. In that particular scenario, the trainers said that the coworkers “died” from getting shot while running. My student “survived”, though he ended up with a sprained finger and banged up knee from taking down the shooter.

Glad nobody got hurt. Awareness is a priority.

With so much gun violence nowadays, one of my kung fu students recently had to go through an active shooter training at his workplace.

During a roleplay, the majority of his coworkers ran from the shooter. He instead immediately went for the shooter. In that particular scenario, the trainers said that the coworkers “died” from getting shot while running. My student “survived”, though he ended up with a sprained finger and banged up knee from taking down the shooter.
Did he actually get to "take someone down". Sounds like an interesting exercise.

Did he actually get to "take someone down". Sounds like an interesting exercise.
Yes, that’s how he hurt himself. Not bad for a guy in his mid 40’s. He’s a pastor to boot.

In kung fu, we say “guts, strength, and skill”. Meaning in that order of priority. He had the first two. Maybe a bit lacking on the third and so got hurt.

Mythbusters did a fun episode of knife vs gun in a close fight.
If memory serves:
If you attack a shooter from 10' away:
If he is ready, you will get there, but get shot.
If he is not ready, you can actually win that fight.

Didn't they have the shooter in like a padded suit? Or did he get hurt too?
Didn’t get all the details. He just sent a quick message to a mutual friend.

Kung fu training really turned his life around, and periodically he’ll send a message regarding some situation where he credits the training for helping him.

He was happy that he did “just like he was taught” and it worked for him.

Knowing him, and from the description of his injuries, he probably closed the gap, grabbed the guy, and went for a takedown. He would have been faster if he just kicked the guy’s legs out while closing the gap.

Back