Reef nutrition

Chloramines...grrrrr

How about getting this bad boy?
200426-RO-Chloramines-Monster-a_1.jpg

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/brs-reverse-osmosis-chloramines-monster.html

I run two of those bad boys :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I would stick with two standard 10" ones instead.
More selection with standard size, and price issues.
A 10" carbon block = $8
A 20" carbon block = $27 (more than 2X)

Lets do some math here.

The chloramines monster treats 15000 gallons @$169

The regular universal carbon block treats 2000 gallons at $16.99 but you need 2

15k divided by 2k equals 7.5

That means that I need 15 Of the universal carbon blocks to treat the same amount of water as the chloramines monster

15 universal carbon blocks is $254...sounds good...

But, you have to factor in the initial cost of an extra $100 for the housing for the chloramines monster filter.

That total is $269 (for the monster kit)

So it’ll take over 15, 000 gallons of making water to make the cost worth it. Plus the labor of having to redo my whole rodi setup to work with the new filter...I’d want a sediment filter in front of the chloramines monster.

I say it’s not worth it, but if I had a huge tank and made 15k gallons of water a year it would totally be worth it. It would take me about 4 years to put that much water through the filter with my current setup.

Ahh, that is a 4.5" diameter beast I guess. Yes, that makes a big difference.
So it is not a factor of 2 better, but 4X+ or more. I don't really know cross sectional area.

Looking at the specs, at our slow drip rates, it will treat 75,000 gallons.

Yeah not sure how those rates add up, really don't understand why 5gpm it treats only 10k gallons, but 1gpm it treats 75k gallons. I get that contact time is key for absorption but why would it treat less water before needing to be replaced? Does the faster flow physically damage the filter? Plus 75k and 1gpm, if you have a 100gpd unit that translates to about 1/3 gpm so would you be able to treat even more? like 225k gallons at that rate?

Also there's the math involved not sure which block you were looking at that is rated at 2k gallons, the 16.99 one at BRS says 3.5k gallons, which changes your math to about 8.5 filters to do the same job, which lowers the cost quite a bit from 15. Plus if you're getting that filter why are you getting 1? Why not a case where you can save even more! And then why BRS? Other places have cases for cheaper, although having to sift through what filters you get is definitely something.

And while clicking around BRS all the filters just went 15% off, so the chloramine guzzler/monster/whatever is $136, so strike while the iron is hot! :D

Yeah not sure how those rates add up, really don't understand why 5gpm it treats only 10k gallons, but 1gpm it treats 75k gallons. I get that contact time is key for absorption but why would it treat less water before needing to be replaced? Does the faster flow physically damage the filter? Plus 75k and 1gpm, if you have a 100gpd unit that translates to about 1/3 gpm so would you be able to treat even more? like 225k gallons at that rate?

Also there's the math involved not sure which block you were looking at that is rated at 2k gallons, the 16.99 one at BRS says 3.5k gallons, which changes your math to about 8.5 filters to do the same job, which lowers the cost quite a bit from 15. Plus if you're getting that filter why are you getting 1? Why not a case where you can save even more! And then why BRS? Other places have cases for cheaper, although having to sift through what filters you get is definitely something.

And while clicking around BRS all the filters just went 15% off, so the chloramine guzzler/monster/whatever is $136, so strike while the iron is hot! :D

Your right. I had the numbers wrong for both carbon blocks.

I got about 2000 gallons of useful life outta the universal carbon blocks...but that could be wrong. I’m not testing total chlorine, and will just replace when the sediment filter needs to be replaced. So, there “could” be more life in them, but I’m not going to risk it.

I used the 15k because that’s what someone posted but 75,000 gallons is a huge difference...at 3-1 ratio that 25,000 gallons of product water before it needs to be replaced.

BTW that same cart cost 129 from water filter places like filters fast. You can also get the 20" housing for 49.99 on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Your right. I had the numbers wrong for both carbon blocks.

I got about 2000 gallons of useful life outta the universal carbon blocks...but that could be wrong. I’m not testing total chlorine, and will just replace when the sediment filter needs to be replaced. So, there “could” be more life in them, but I’m not going to risk it.

I used the 15k because that’s what someone posted but 75,000 gallons is a huge difference...at 3-1 ratio that 25,000 gallons of product water before it needs to be replaced.
That would be 2:1

Tidbit:
I have separate cation/anion DI system, and the cation seems to be used a lot faster.
I suspect chloramines.
The carbon breaks the chloramine bond and produces ammonia, which goes straight through the RO membrane.
Ammonia is absorbed by cation, not anion section.

So I guess when my cation DI stops getting used up, my carbon is exhausted, and I have a chloramine problem??

Maybe. I’m debating adding a valve before the membrane to be able to test for total chlorine.

I’m also debating going with 3 di stages. One cation one anion and one mixed

Opinion overall: The most important thing is to not forget to change your carbon pre-filters.
All these other ideas are pretty much secondary to that.
So perhaps the best thing - put it on your calendar to remind you.

Apex has the 1/4” flow rate monitor. I wonder if it can be programmed to track volume. I know it has a minimum flow rate to function just like the stand alone meter but I don’t know what that rate is and if the ro system is too low.

Back