Neptune Aquatics

Algae Scrubber Success.

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
Just thought I'd share the pics of the growth in my algae scrubber. I've cleaned it all of two times. The first time was five weeks after it was set-up. This second cleaning was about a month since then. This thing is a beast! It takes less than five minutes to clean.

IMG_0973.jpg
IMG_0975.jpg

do you have pics of how its set up? maybe algae scrubber would work better in my tank, i cant grow chaeto for some reason. just dies.

My set-up won't help you a lot because it's on my IM 120 AIO. It literally just straddles the back section of the AOI. In most instances people put them on a shelf resting on top of their sump.

Do you have any explanation on why the scrubber worked but growing chaeto didn’t?

A couple of factors (I think.) First, scrubbers are optimized to be a perfect environment for the type of algae they grow. Second, hair algae may require different nutrients that Chaeto does. A lot of folks struggle to grow Chaeto even with good lights. So -- no. I don't have a real explanation other than it works.

So some fun history...
I used to really push algae scrubbers.
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2545-Generation-4-ATS-build&highlight=rygh

In fact, I was one of the first to have real success with LED, way way back.

But ... I have backed off a bit.
The big problem - they work a bit TOO well.
Your nitrates will plummet, and your corals will starve if you are not careful.

So I had turned mine off and switched to Vinegar dosing.
Although after my tank reboot, my tank was full of hair algae and nitrates,
and I pulled it out of the box and cranked it up again.

Now I am thinking of shutting it down again since tank is looking good.
Or maybe making a half size screen.

ALSO: You need to clean more often.
That is WAY too much buildup. The dead parts slough off and really add to detritus.
Clean weekly or at least every 2 weeks.

So some fun history...
I used to really push algae scrubbers.
http://algaescrubber.net/forums/showthread.php?2545-Generation-4-ATS-build&highlight=rygh

In fact, I was one of the first to have real success with LED, way way back.

But ... I have backed off a bit.
The big problem - they work a bit TOO well.
Your nitrates will plummet, and your corals will starve if you are not careful.

So I had turned mine off and switched to Vinegar dosing.
Although after my tank reboot, my tank was full of hair algae and nitrates,
and I pulled it out of the box and cranked it up again.

Now I am thinking of shutting it down again since tank is looking good.
Or maybe making a half size screen.

That is WAY too much buildup. The dead parts slough off and really add to detritus.

Would it be good to run a few hours at a time? Or 24/7?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. I realized a month was too long. I didn't expect that much buildup. Still learning on this thing. As to removing too many nitrates I saw indications of that from other's experience with them when I was researching, but often that seemed to be because they fell into the man-trap of reefkeeping -- bigger is better! I made sure this one is appropriately sized after discussing that issue with the manufacturer while at Macna (where I bought it.) It also does run through my Apex so if necessary I can scale back how many hours it's on if necessary. So far no need though as I feed this tank really heavy and since it's all LPS the nitrates are fine around 20-30. So far the scrubber has kept from nosing up to over the 50 mark though.

Definitely check phosphates!
While algae does have a decent percentage of phosphate, and thus exports some,
it may not match what you feed.
I use GFO.

Your phosphates staying within range as well? Is this your only means of export? No GFO or anything?

I also use two large bags of Chemipure elite below each return. I check phosphates once a month and if necessary will use a SMALL corrective dose of a phosphate remover. Although have only had to do so once since I switched to Chemipure elite and have been considering changing one of the bags to standard Chemipure Blue.

Just thought I'd share the pics of the growth in my algae scrubber. I've cleaned it all of two times. The first time was five weeks after it was set-up. This second cleaning was about a month since then. This thing is a beast! It takes less than five minutes to clean.

View attachment 10999 View attachment 11000
I noticed the heart shape you made for us in the algae. Who says romance is dead?

Back