Cali Kid Corals

bondolo's defunct tanks

There are some corals that would be suitable. Probably too drab for most people but I think they are rather pretty.
I was under the impression that collection of corals in Hawaii was strictly forbidden, hell I recall hearing stories of Dana Riddle having a hard time doing actual scientific research on corals there.

That’s so cool. Is it for work or did you win the lottery?

My current work has offices on the big island and I will be working from there. We also plan to retire on the big island so having work there makes the transition easier. Retiring to Hawaii is actually cheaper than staying in the bay area. Yes there are some things ($8 gallon of milk, $12 pint of raspberries) that are more expensive but overall it is somewhat cheaper to live in Hawaii than the bay area and the commutes are better!

I've actually looked into Hawaiian life too, and someplace like the big island you definitely can get "Tracy" level of bay area pricing but still be in a nice area. One of my concerns about Hawaii in general though is that homelessness is big there, and looking to get bigger (not sure which islands are more prevalent than others).

Retiring to the big island sure sounds nice. Green with envy. :D
I like the big island best also. Much more to do, places to go, few tourists.

I have set a date for taking down my tanks: Memorial Day weekend 2019. I'll be looking for people to take corals and fish the the weeks before that date.

Congrats on the planned move to the Big Island! That is our home-away-from home. In-laws live there in Hilo, been going several times a year for a couple decades.

Every time I go back I try to come up with some scheme that lets me move there but at this point I think I’ll just have to settle for visiting.

One of the downsides is that it is strictly against the law to have a reef tank with coral. You can’t import or export coral, and you can’t collect locally either. Even for livestock you can legally own like fish, there are severe restrictions since they are justifiably worried about invasive species. Hawaii is literally the most remote land mass on Earth, has a unique biome, and they are trying to keep it that way.

Consequently, there are no coral stores, no easy way to buy supplies, and as far as I know no reefkeeper community :(

fun fact; State fish of Hawaii is Humuhumunukunukuapua'a

Congrats on the move! planning to visit Hawaii for the first time this year. Happy to help if you need it.

I knew both of those fun facts but I did not know they were so anti reef keeping.
The current collection rules in Hawaii are the result of dishonest advocacy and greenwash politics. Pretty sad really. There have been a couple of ReefThreads podcasts on the topic. I don't know what the current legislative actions or proposals are.

Back