Cali Kid Corals

H2Overflow - Opinions?

900 gallons? Go with the shadow or ghost overflows. If your tank manufacturer is able to make a custom overflow, that would be better if you can get a nice long in-tank box, close to a coast to coast.

It looks pretty good actually. It will keep the point of draining up above the drilled hole. So at most if your return pump fails it will only drain down a little water. If the overflow clogs a bit, water can still flow into the top, but it's screened so you won't get fish suicides.

I've never seen that, but I'd rather use that than the simple screened bulkhead.

It will likely still gurgle, burp and slosh, but it's much simpler than a Durso style drain.

Sounds like a nice way to not drill the bottom of a tank and have large overflow compartments. My overflow towers take up a lot of space. Having two of these would have been awesome IF they work as expected.

$80 is a bit steep. However, nothing in this hobby is cheap, except crappy stuff.

Heck, I blew $80 on a bunch of Berghia Nudibranchs that lasted all of 2 days.

I would actually consider using one to connect two sumps together (for me, the POS stand I have is so overbuilt that some stupid support posts prevent me from building and using one large sump ... as it might fit, but can't actually be moved into place).
So have the drain and skimmer flow into one sump with that thingy in it, but pipe the flow out to another sump that has a fuge and return pump in it. (instead of one large baffled sump). Hmmmm... makes me think ...
(Yes simple bulkheads would work too)

V

900 gallons? Go with the shadow or ghost overflows. If your tank manufacturer is able to make a custom overflow, that would be better if you can get a nice long in-tank box, close to a coast to coast.

I actually like the look of the "ghost" best, but I read you need to buy a tank from Reef Savvy to get one.

I'd say the H2Overflow plain skip it. Similar concept would be running a pipe along the back of the tank with teeth cut on a table saw; bulky stuff.
Synergy seems a pretty nice slim internal unit that magically disappears from view if you paint the back glass.

Yeah that H2Overflow from Custom Aquariums just straight up looks like ass, kind of like their "seamless sumps" trying to reinvent the wheel with a triangle or something.

Low Profile overflows are definitely nice to have, Ghost/Shadow are two that are out that you can buy anywhere, they've changed the naming over the years not sure what they're called now although I will say I've read quite a few pissed off owners talking about how the external box being lower than the internal box is a horrible design not sure if there's any merit to that though. Eshopps makes one as well, although it has the similar setup to the Ghost/Shadow box. There have been a couple of eBay sellers out there which seem to have CnC machines and pop these out on demand as opposed to making them for the masses, Modular Marine would be first choice however they seem to still be away on vacation (or maybe out of business?) as they close up shop on big vacation days, even had an health issue with a family member so definitely a one man operation there, haven't seen him come back since Christmas. Exotic_marine has one on ebay as well, instead of teeth they use slots for their overflow box, both of these offer sizes much larger than the Ghost/Shadow boxes if that's important to you.

And you don't need to order a tank from any particular company to get these, but you do need to drill your own holes on the back pane which can be done fairly painlessly and is not too difficult to do.

Sorry, should have mentioned this is for peninsula style tanks, so size is important, both are 24" deep. I'm leaning towards the shadow, just wanted to see what everyone thought on that other/new style.

Also, was just reading about some upgrades new tank makers add. It seems easy enough to get a piece of Starboard or ABS from Tap Plastics to cover the bottom. Anyone know how to add your own "re-inforced" seams? Not even exactly sure what that consists of but I see a bunch of custom tank builders offer it.

Back