Neptune Aquatics

Jeff's Upgrade to DSA 105

78b8febff48e30f57cd3bf35854c1b93.jpg

I tried to attach the soft coral to a rock using it’s foot toothpick and a rubber band. It came loose and was floating around in my display tank. It’s a really beautiful piece of coral that I want to get attached to a rock but I’m not sure how. I would love some advice please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the toothpick through more of the coral and it should hold. Make sure both ends of the toothpick are lightly retained and all should be well. You can sew them on too, but thread is a huge hazard around fish so I wouldn’t do it myself.

yes I did--through the center. rubber banded the toothpick to a rock. the coral stem split and fell off. The toothpick and rubber band stayed intact
I did this one time when the rubber band was too tight. You want it snug, but too tight cuts off all circulation and will cause it to cut through.

I’ve also used twist-ties before. They work great because you can adjust how tight you want it; the hard part is finding ones that DO NOT have the metal wire in the middle (you need the all plastic ones).

Great looking softie, Jeff!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My take on CBBs

Had 2 that ate like pigs. Started them in the sump, put frozen in a feeding pouch. CBBs pick off the rock, so this is a natural method of eating for them. Once they were comfortable eating from that, moved them to the DT in an acclimation box. Feed in the pouch in the box.

Finally moved out into the DT. When I fed the tank, I broadcast at 1 end and put the pouch with frozen at the other.

1 of the CBBs would come up and pick frozen off my hand if I kept most of the wrasses away.

Lost that one to nem nuke #2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My take on CBBs

Had 2 that ate like pigs. Started them in the sump, put frozen in a feeding pouch. CBBs pick off the rock, so this is a natural method of eating for them. Once they were comfortable eating from that, moved them to the DT in an acclimation box. Feed in the pouch in the box.

Finally moved out into the DT. When I fed the tank, I broadcast at 1 end and put the pouch with frozen at the other.

1 of the CBBs would come up and pick frozen off my hand if I kept most of the wrasses away.

Interesting and logical method. I like it, thanks for sharing!

My take on CBBs

What is the feeding pouch made of?

added a yellow tank and coral beauty yesterday, but they are in a QT next to the DT for a month or so. Happy to finally add some fish!

Thanks Ultimate Aquarium!

Recently I added a yellow tang, a coral beauty, and Sunday I added 3" maxima clam, and an emerald crab (thanks to Nelson running the group buy). my chemistry is good and stable. I'm only dosing Alk right now, and my calcium has been steady at 450. I have B-ionic calcium additive should I need it. really happy about how the tank is progressing! I really appreciate all the advice and help from the members here.

Back