Jestersix

Tank Journal - No Tank

Bruce Spiegelman

Sponsorship, Public Relations
BOD
I don't have the tank yet, but thought I'd start listing associated equipment and getting opinions and suggestions.

Here's the tank (or it's brother) :

IMG_1521.JPG

72 X 36 x 24. 270 Gallons.

Here's my proposed equipment list -- please discuss:

1) Apex with Trident. Just the base EL version. I don't need ORP and salinity probes for $300.00 more.
2) (3) Orphek Atlantik lights.
3) (3) Maxspect Gyre XF 350s (have one)
4) Vectra L2 Return
5) Regal Reef Octopus skimmer 300
6) (2) 25 watt UV sterilizers (or maybe one 50w) (I have the two 25 watters now)
7) Triton 44 sump
8) CW-300 algae scrubber
9) 2-3 DOS units ( I have 40 them tight now)

What is your thought behind the UV?

Specifically it's purpose in your scheme of things for the tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What is your thought behind the UV?

Specifically it's purpose in your scheme of things for the tank.

I run UV on all three of my current tanks. Beyond use as a clarifier and help with algae, I am a firm believer that a properly sized unit with a long exposure does help, if not alleviate, parasites. So my purpose is to use as both. Which is why I'm waffling on whether to just buy a new 50 watt for this tank, or (as Mike suggested) run the two 25's inline.

I'm asking because I don't think 50w is going to be enough to be effective against parasites.

To get enough kill power, you may have to run at a much slower speed but that will reduce the overall turnover rate of the whole tank through the UV.

Have you done the math?

BRS recommends a 40 watt for a 260 gallon. However, I'm always a believer in bigger is better and frankly the 80 watt is about the same price if you suggest that may be the better route. As to the math no -- I may have to go back and pull up my original research on UV's from a couple of years ago.

For the UV- I recently decided to add one, so I did several hours of reading/investigating and did the math and came up with a 55 watt unit for my 200g (160g display) system. I think it is properly sized for the highest level protection (eg parasites) but not overkill.

Some people go larger knowing it’s overkill and not worry about it.

Why only one return pump? Wouldn't 2 M2's be better.

Also, Rollermat?

It has one 36" modular marine overflow. I actually own 5 kessil 360's, but am much happier with the growth rate from the Orphek over my frag tank. I have considered supplementing the Orpheks with a couple of Kessils to get some shimmer.

As to rollermat -- ehh maybe , but I actually don't run filter socks on any of my tanks.

For the UV- I recently decided to add one, so I did several hours of reading/investigating and did the math and came up with a 55 watt unit for my 200g (160g display) system. I think it is properly sized for the highest level protection (eg parasites) but not overkill.

Some people go larger knowing it’s overkill and not worry about it.
Flow rate is very important. How many gph are you pushing through it?

Flow rate is very important. How many gph are you pushing through it?
There are somewhat conflicting recommendations out there, but I bought a Lifegard UV sterilizer (more than 50% off at LA with clearance and additional discount), and their recommendation is 350 gph, so I’m planning to do that. I have the unit, and a pump and plumbing are coming Tuesday.

Other recommendations say about to 550 gph for that size UV (10 gph/watt) and my size tank (3x tank volume turnover/hour). I would recommend following manufacturer’s recommendations. It’s not as an exact a science as people make it out to be.

Just wondering, why would it be bad to put even less gph through the UV Sterilizer than suggested by the manufacturer? Is there a negative to UV sterilizer's working too well? I know the debate out there seems to be that they are un-necessary because they usually don't give a long enough exposure time.

Back