Our mission

Mystery of Lost Socks Revealed ....

C'mon how many of us have orphaned socks?

So here I am in the middle of a conversation with my maintenance engineers when he explains the lost sock mystery to my coworkers and I. Okay my coworker has a washing machine that works, but will not drain trying to figure out if it's cheaper to fix or just go buy a new one.

The maintenance guy says that if you pack your laundry into the washing machine i.e. a very full load and the machine starts up the agitator (obviously front load washers need not apply) will cause the small things like socks to float up. What will then happen is as such small things like socks float to the top they get caught between the drum and the wall, and the offending sock can get caught up and dragged down into the gap. If it just so happens that the sock floats down to where the pump it will clog the pump.

Learn something new huh?

That is a pretty good idea Roc.. Only if I can get my wife to do that :D ...

I have to remove socks from the washer drain pipe all the time. Oh I have a front loader so the maintenance guy is not 100% correct there ..

I thought Ren & Stimpy found all of the missing left socks after they got sucked into a black hole? So are you guys only loosing right socks?

They can also get trapped beneath the agitator. When I was in appliance repair I'd remove them from there and the place Eileen mentioned.

Money gets trapped in the dryer in those flaps they put in to kept the clothes tumbling :) I pulled $50 in change from one machine we pulled out of Fort Ord once :lol:

See! See!.....Gresh.....Everything and Everybody......He's like the professor on Gilligan's Island, I'm sure he can build a radio out of coconuts too! ;D[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4067.msg48695#msg48695 date=1215642714]
When I was in appliance repair.

Sorry Gresh but this strikes me funny ;)

What, a fellow can't have held many different jobs in his past? It was a three year gig straight out of high school and the repair end wasn't really the main part of what I did (I ran one of two crews). I worked on all the military bases in northern and central valley installing and removing washers and dryers as per a sub contract with Dynacorp (Haliburton type company). I spent a while doing full repair @ Las Mesa (Monterey), The DILM (Defense Institute of language - Monterey), Ford ord (Marina/Seaside), Fort Hunter Ligot (King City - Big Sur - on fire right now I believe) and a bunch of little outposts :D

Electronics isn't my gig really. I could put a radio into a coconut but I couldn't build one unless it was a pre-printed circuit board with all the chips pre-mounted for me :D

[quote author=corals b 4 bills link=topic=4067.msg48735#msg48735 date=1215690051]
See! See!.....Gresh.....Everything and Everybody......He's like the professor on Gilligan's Island, I'm sure he can build a radio out of coconuts too! ;D[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4067.msg48695#msg48695 date=1215642714]
When I was in appliance repair.

Sorry Gresh but this strikes me funny ;)
[/quote]

I like to be well rounded too but, if I hear you say that you spent a summer working on Russia's missle defense systems then were going to have to do a full investigation on you buddy :D

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4067.msg48695#msg48695 date=1215642714]

Money gets trapped in the dryer in those flaps they put in to kept the clothes tumbling :) I pulled $50 in change from one machine we pulled out of Fort Ord once :lol:
[/quote]

You're an accessory to money laundering, Gresh.

The machines and everything in them where ours by military contract :D We where paid to remove and dispose of them. Here's where it gets to be like what we imagine the military system works.... We where paid to install all the units a year or two prior. We installed brand new units in every building at Ford Ord...ones that had no walls, no floors, etc. This was done knowing the military was shutting down Fort Ord with in two years. Once it was shut down we got another contract to pull those same units, sell them and keep the cash. Many where never even touched by anyone but us.

Unless[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4067.msg48782#msg48782 date=1215740087]
if he was working on a missile defense system, and I am some how associated with him, I may have issues at work ;)

[/quote] That could only happen if Russia builds their missile defense system with those Radio Shack electronic kits, you know, the ones that have the circuit board numbered and colored and have a book telling which hole each piece goes in to make it work? heck, you should see my solder jobs on the chips I've tried to mount on boards...not a pretty sight and none worked :( I can make neat solder sculptures though :lol:

MX-906.jpg

BTW like my new DIY controller :D you guys spent all that money on Reefkeepers and such...you could have had mine ^^^^^^ it's far cheaper and boy is it flexiable in terms of what you can do with it. I really haven't figured out how to use the tone generator for my tank yet, but I'm working on it!

[quote author=GreshamH link=topic=4067.msg48884#msg48884 date=1215874694]That could only happen if Russia builds their missile defense system with those Radio Shack electronic kits, you know, the ones that have the circuit board numbered and colored and have a book telling which hole each piece goes in to make it work? [/quote]

Between those and vacuum tubes, that's how they harden their electronics against EMP attack :D

I heard from a friend who heard from an uncle who heard from an ex girlfriend, that Russians had some secret plan where they modified washing machines to steal socks from americans. Apparently socks when coated with solder, shield EMPs.

It's the Chinese doing that, not the Russians. The North Koreans developed the technology, sold it to Iran, who then traded it to Russia for some nuclear secrets :) Well, that's how i was told it went anyways ;)

[quote author=Gomer link=topic=4067.msg49043#msg49043 date=1216052747]
I heard from a friend who heard from an uncle who heard from an ex girlfriend, that Russians had some secret plan where they modified washing machines to steal socks from americans.[/quote]

You must not have heard of the Kobayashi Maru variant - Tribble's Solution

We're actually sending the dirty socks to them on purpose :D

Back