Neptune Aquatics

Purigen

Hey all, I am going to throw a bag (100 ml) of purigen into my sump, and see how things look after a couple of weeks.
Purigen says it "removes soluble and insoluble impurities from water at a rate that exceeds all others by 500%..."
Can someone give me a better of idea of "soluble and insoluble impurities?" Will this product help to remove ammonia, and phosphates?
Thanks

I love it and was going through so much I bought a 1L bottle of the stuff and 2x the suggested volume ratio. It will take a couple weeks for your tank to adjust to the Purigen and during that time it will literally suck up all NH4, nitrates, and nitrites like crazy. If you have dirty water loving corals, like zoas or button polys they will be pissed off for a few days to a week, but they will adjust to the water chemistry. After that initial break in period the purigen will absorb slower and slower, but it still does a wonderful job keeping the tanks nutrient loads @ 0 and stable.

Just to give you an idea, I run a 40gal Tru-Vu Aquasystem, will a softball size piece a cheato, about ~200mg of Purigen, a bag of Chemipure, and live rock rubble in the back, and NO skimmer. I have a pretty big bioload, with a primarily softy tank, and it is the most stable, cleanest water, easy maintenance tank I have and its all in one! I love it, so stress free!

Cheers,

Josh

A couple hints, bleach your old Purigen to recharge it, instructions in the box. If it smells a little fishy that's normal, but if it smell like bleach keep washing it.

Strange, I made a post earlier in this thread and it's gone.....

I used to use it before I ran a very nutrient poor system, basically back in the day 15 years ago or more when skimming was not what it is now, mostly in fluidized reactors where it works real well. I tried it a few years ago in a modern system with more aggressive skimming and massive water changes and my corals bleached from stifled zooxanthillae production due to way too low nutrients. If you want to "scrub" your water it's a great product, if your tank is already low on nutrients use with caution.

Thanks Montana for the feedback

Jeremy, thanks for sharing the experience. I guess I'll hold off on it, since I already have a skimmer rated for way more than my tank volume, running bare bottom, feeding 2-3 times a week, and a relatively small bio-load of four small fishes.

I just threw it in the bucket where I mix my freshly mixed saltwater ... so the satchel is just tumbling around in there :) Being that I do use tap water, maybe the Purigen is better suited there than in my tank :D

I've been on tap for a year, makes me wish I didn't waste my first two years on RO/DI water. I'm in Berkeley (average water quality in the Bay Area), the house I live in was built in 1912 and my landlord was born in it in 1932, said he never redid the plumbing....haha

Seriously, if you think about it, one pinch of flake food or one cube of mysis shrimp probably has 10x the nutrients of the dirtiest tap water, problem is people over feed and don't do water changes often enough. Also, I think people need to think about "nutrient" sinks and how to keep them clean and consistent.

People say, you'll have an algae bloom if use tap water! Well, I've had many with RO/DI water, actually more....I really think that it is a "purest" senerio, since a newbie will probably use tap water when first setting up a tank, and of course they have algae bloom, so of course its the tap water!

Sorry, I'm wondering, made some strong drinks tonight...but seriously, my girlfriend is a environmental chemist, she laughed at me when I first went into the speal about TDS readings and "problem" with tap water...she showed me some calculations of how much of N, P, Fe, Cu it takes to get a TDS of 100 or 300 (not much) and then we looked at the back of a bottle of Spectrum and other fish foods and realized how ridiculous it was...

I have Purigen but never got to use it since I battled Nitrates for quite some time then went to a Sulfur based DIY reactor
My readings are zero; would that be the cause for slow zoas growth?
LPS and SPS show growth but zoas I wish they did.
I have maybe seven heads of tubs blue and they stay the same count, on a separate disc I have three, these were two and I discovered a tiny one today but the size of the zoas is way small.
I have another tank where I kind of dumped three or four zoas and they are multiplying really fast.
I might try the Purigen for the second tank but if it will prevent growth might keep it in the closet.

What attracted me to Purigen was the ability to re-use it by adding bleach but then again, never used it. Chemipure for me has shown to clear the water really nice instead of Carbon.

Back