got ethical husbandry?

electricity in the water?????? Help!

under_water_ninja

High Tide Aquatics
LFS Owner
Got some electricity in the water some how. Only things in the water are a few mag drive 9 pumps that are brand new, 3 brand new titanium heaters, and a couple of mag drive 5's that are a couple yours old.
the current seems to come in and out. touch the water and its fine, touch it again a few minutes later and ZAPP!

tried trouble shooting which device it could be but since the charge comes and goes it is hard to tell?????

Never had this problem before except with heater breakage????

Getting a stray voltage probe to see if it will help, but this didnt feel like stray voltage, it had a nice jolt behind it!

you might be getting shocked intermittently because you are grounded/not grounded and the source is constant. Wood floor? Were you wearing shoes? Do you touch the outside of the tank when you reach in?

I had the same thing happen to me. Be careful because you can really get hurt. Make sure all cords have a safety loop so water does not travel along the cords into the outlet. You should have a ground probe in your tank to remove stray voltage and everything should be connected to a GFI.

hiepatitis said:
Be careful because you can really get hurt. Make sure all cords have a safety loop so water does not travel along the cords into the outlet. You should have a ground probe in your tank to remove stray voltage and everything should be connected to a GFI.
+1
You can measure it with a voltage meter and unplug things one at a time till you get no stray voltage.
Be careful!
This kinda stuff is the reason I like to run external pumps and Vortec power heads.
For me that means 4 less cords in the tank. I have 10 GFCI outlets so if one trips it does not take out the whole tank.

Back