Our mission

BAR SWAP 1ST ROUND: SMURFZILLA ECHINO; BAZOOKA JOE CHALICE: FRAG HEALTH EXAM

First off, the BAR swap was outstanding. Quite suspenseful with the short time limit for selecting frags. I'm sure that was intended to level the playing field for people who drew out higher picking groups. Incredibly impressed with the format and execution of the swap. And most importantly, my wife loved it.

Here's what I picked!
081609_smurf.jpg

Looks like it's in excellent health and ready to eat mysis.

Very special thanks to Northbay-reefer for fragging me a HUGE piece of Bazooka Joe:

Notice there was a hairline cut almost intersecting the eye. As soon as I noticed the split this morning, I delicately glued its edge and closed the split shut. I was very careful not to glue the flesh, and the split itself was not glued. Will the split refuse itself back together? Are the darker areas normal signs of healing?
081609_bazooka_top3.jpg

These side picks show how truly beautiful the Bazooka Joe chalice really is!
081609_bazooka_side.jpg

But you can also see how the right side of the frag dropped at the split. I'm thinking everything should be okay, just hoping for some experienced feedback :)
081609_bazooka_side2.jpg

Even if the eye does not make it- as it may have been slightly torn at its nucleus- it appears that there is another eye in the making! If you look back at its main section in the first pic, you'll barely notice a new eye forming at the center. Tom, you shouldn't have! But I do appreciate it.

That Echino will get much more colorful. Keep it in low light for sure.

This is what the main colony looks like

Pics4-23-09-10.jpg

FWIW I have had eyes like that recover before. The skeleton was a little brittle at that area.

WHOA. I had no idea what it would become. I was satisfied with the inner glow. Figured it had nice potential, but not ALL-STAR potential. Thanks for posting that pic. For now, I have it on a mag-rack located at the very bottom of the tank.

Purpleup, no prob man, the hurricane looks great too, and thanks for that extra pink chalice frag ...

Bryan, thanks for helping me frag up the bazooka, and darth maul, and thanks for letting me raid your tank lol .... plus now I am inspired after seeing your tank so am motivated to get my tank back to the way it was :D

nice pieces purpleup, It was nice meeting you and your wife, it took me forever to get all my frags put away last night then as soon as I got done I got called out on an emergency call, I will try to get some pics up tonight
thanks again for the frags

jeremys

patchin said:
And I was hoping to get the Smurfzilla in the second round. BIG mistake. It's in good hands now.
Patchin, I remember seeing you and your name tag at the swap. I think you asked me not to touch any of the coral on the LPS table. LOL. What piece did you end up getting 1st round?

Nice meeting you as well, Jeremy. You've gotta teach me how to win raffles some time.

Hey Bryan, can't find "Smurfzilla Echino" anywhere online except one DBTC thread on BAR. Curious, did you name the piece? Where did you get it?

Tom, it be cool to see a pic of your mother Bazooka colony. Got a tank thread on this site? I think I need to create a thread for myself. Think I'll be hangin around here for a while...

Yeh, I played frag cop until I got frustrated. I was joking with your wife after you showed her what table to pick from. Nice lady. You're lucky that she wants to paricipate with you.

I chose Thale's brain first. He's a smart guy. :bigsmile: There were several on the LPS table I would have loved to have. I could tell by all the people oogling the table before it started, that everything there would go quickly.

I should have spent more time getting to know new people. Hope you hang with us more often.

purpleup said:
Hey Bryan, can't find "Smurfzilla Echino" anywhere online except one DBTC thread on BAR. Curious, did you name the piece? Where did you get it?

Oh c'mon. It'll be online after Tyree gets a piece. We'll put him on our waiting list :D

That would have been the one LPS I would have gotten from the table. Didn't see it though.

purpleup said:
patchin said:
Tom, it be cool to see a pic of your mother Bazooka colony. Got a tank thread on this site? I think I need to create a thread for myself. Think I'll be hangin around here for a while...

This is my old tank thread, the tank is no where as nice now, but am redoing the whole thing. I think the frame cost more than the tank itself :D

http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/2401

nice pieces purpleup, It was nice meeting you and your wife, it took me forever to get all my frags put away last night then as soon as I got done I got called out on an emergency call, I will try to get some pics up tonight

jeremys

jeremys

Likewise, Jeremy.

Here's an update on the Bazooka's progress...
081909_bazooka.jpg

Appears to be healing. Exposed skeleton is now covered with new growth. But it quickly lost color within 48hrs of placement in the tank. NOTE: It was freshly cut on Saturday morning. Chalice experts: Is swift color change normal for this coral?

Northbay,
Here's a shot of what your pink chalice frag is supposed to look like (or least what it looks like in my tank today anyway).
081909_pink.jpg

Purpleup, Nice, my frags are doing well too and are in the frag rack, I am redoing my tank's rock work so I don't have pictures yet. Still trying to locate lace rocks

Back