Our mission

Blue spot Jaw

JAR

I spent part of the day yesterday covering my tank with some cool screen material.
I got half the job done but this morning woke up to the Blue Spot Jaw pasted to the top of the center brace. :((

RIP
Bluespotjawfish.jpg

Photo by Erick (Ibn)

Man,that suck.i just got one last week becuase of your That i saw during the tank tour.he's digging hole in corner of my tank.i hope my tank is deep enough for him not to jump.

lapsan

No tank is deep enough for them not to jump Lap. Cover the tank or at some point you'll have jerky!!!

I can say this as we used a 4' deep tank to house them on occasion when we imported them and with out a cover they all would escape from it. Even if only a 1" hole was open, they'd still find it and get out.

Such a bummer. If I had no cover at all it looks like he would have flopped back in.
I plan to finish covering the tank but I'm growing mangroves out of the top so there will always be a spot to sneak out of.

I lost my BSJF a couple of months ago. Didn't see him and thought he found a new tunnel or that a tunnel caved on him or something. Found him on the garage floor a few days later - jerky. He had gone over one of the overflows into the sump in the garage. I didn't think to look there. He must have gotten tired of not being fed and jumped.

Sorry to hear about the Bluespot.

I also had a Bluespot in my Biocube 29 gallon and could never keep him "in" the tank. I tried blocking the back chambers with mesh and during the night he would still manage to squirm back there.. I'd have to pull the skimmer/pumps out in order to be able to "scare" him to jump back out into the main display section of the tank.

Fascinating fish to watch but just not meant for aquaria it seemed.. I ended up bringing him back to my LFS and getting a 50% credit on price paid. The LFS seemed to be shocked that I actually brought him back alive after having it for 2+ months in my tank.

Bluespot.jpg

I've had 4 pearl Jawfish and 1 did jump over the overflow. But that was due to being harassed by 2 others. The 2 that I kept paired up and they hardly ever go in the upper 6" of the water column, let alone jump, as they're very content hovering over their dens. I don't have any large or predatory/ scary fish though.

BJS are way more sketchy of fish then pearly's. My pearlys were model citizens and never got too freaked :)

I say since you got your tank covered you should get another :) I'm just saying :lol:

Right now it's 1/2 covered. I'm working on the other 1/2 which is the hard part because of mangroves coming out of the tank.

The other thing you could try is to have a big rim around the tank (about 4 inches high). They might not be able to jump that high out of the tank.

Back