Kessil

Corals dying after tank upgrade and water change - ALK finally lower at 13 but Ammonia is 4! HELP!

Yeah, even my wife said that all the people that we met who has a fish tank are really nice. They like to talk and tell stories. She said maybe because it does takes allot of patience have a tank.

Anyways. I called Petco, Petsmart and Petfood express and none of them carries the Turbo Calcium.

I would just refrain from adding any chemicals to your tank. Stick with daily/bi-daily water changes. Pick up your own set of test kits "If you don't already have them" and just moniter the tank. Adding chemicals is not the solution to the problem

wifey just called. she bought a new test kit and Alk is at 20 now and the rest shoot up also ph ammonia and so on. I think its about to crash

I just checked out the tank... API alk test kit two times says 12.5-13, not so bad. However, some corals looking pretty bad, a couple look gone... Ammonia spike time. It was 4+ added some prime and live bacteria, tank is pretty new, more live bacteria might be a good idea! I think the main culprit now is a high ammonia level and a fairly new tank strugglng to deal with it. I say let it be for tonight and test for ammonia and nitrite tomorrow and go from there.

just tested the water again, alkalinity is 13 still and amonia is still at 4. we are doing daily water changes and thinking of moving the corals to another tank. corals are not doing better at all and now the fish are all hiding. really dont know what to do.

btw, thanks for dropping by mike

Even after the water is testing ok it is still going to take some time for the corals to show signs of recovery. Just keep up the water changes and give it some time. The best thing to do is not to panic and do something drastic.

+1
And this is a good reminder about the level of 'nasties' that build up in a sandbed. While I don't exactly think sandbeds are ticking time bombs, they definitely CAN be nutrient sinks and certainly are not needed to grow coral.

Finished a 25% water change. Alk is at 12.5-13 but ammonia still going up. Calcium is at 450. My two anemones and mushroom looks swollen

Not me, I'd default to lowering the bad levels through a series of carefully performed water changes. I tend not to add stuff in order to remove stuff as a general practice.

Coral reefer said:
Anybody else think some live bacteria is a good idea?

I do :) But I also agree with Jim to an extent. Right now W/C is the best bet (maybe with some bacteria added to it)

Back