Kessil

Fishing Pole Repair :( :(

iCon

Supporting Member
So since I'm not apart of a fishing forum, thought I'd post on here since I know there are some anglers around! :)

Took a camping/fishing trip this past weekend and spent a lot of time teaching people how to fish. A few 'firsts' on the trip: People catching their first fish, first time to a few lakes, first this first that. And....First rod to get stepped on :( :( :(

Of course, it had to be my favorite pole. Not crazy expensive or anything but that thing has done well for me and I don't want to part with it! Any angler would understand

So - Does anyone know how to repair a broken rod? The top 1ft or so broke clean off from the rest (1 piece). I realize it probably won't be worth it in terms of $, but I don't really care. So - Is it possible? Who? Cost?

and of course....suggestions for a replacement!? :) I haven't shopped for fishing poles in years so any up to date advice would be awesome!
Freshwater spinning set up 6'-6'6

Shimano is the brand that's imprinted in my mind from way back but I'm open to new things

ly's fishing tackle in san jose (capitol and mclaughlin near 101) or coyote bait and tackle (off bailey and monterey road) might be able to help you out but odds are it's not worth fixing if it's a lower shimano model.

also, some shimanos (the higher models like the crucial) have a lifetime warranty against breakage. it doesn't cover accidental but most shimano retailers (as well as shimano) will not even ask

reefdan said:
ly's fishing tackle in san jose (capitol and mclaughlin near 101) or coyote bait and tackle (off bailey and monterey road) might be able to help you out but odds are it's not worth fixing if it's a lower shimano model.

also, some shimanos (the higher models like the crucial) have a lifetime warranty against breakage. it doesn't cover accidental but most shimano retailers (as well as shimano) will not even ask

Yeah - I'm sure it's not 'worth it' but yanno! It's on par with the crucial - just years old =S

I broke the tip off my favorite fishing pole (twice now) by slamming the door on it. I get a tip replacement from Big5 or Sports Authority. Cabelas or Bass Pro Shops might have some epoxy to fix a rod but I would only put a replacement tip and have a "Faster Action" rod

JAR said:
Hi's tackle SSF
www.histacklebox.com/
Or DIY with a ferrule repair kit .

Thanks for pointing me to that. I thought they closed up shop since I was only familiar with the Clement location. I'll have to check it out. Can you point me to a reseller for the repair kit? I'm seeing one in particular online but would like to make sure it's the right one!

Thanks!

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_16514____SearchResults

What I used and will have to use.

Yeah...I really didn't want it to become a 5' pole but I guess there's no way to recreate its original strength. Unfortunate. I wouldn't care if it was your everyday rod but it was a gift and cost a pretty penny. It's also brought home many fish :)

Jon - Was the ferrule repair kit referring only to the tip repair or could that possibly repair the rod itself? I looked a little but nothing seemed to fit the bill. Though, I admit - I wasn't entirely sure of what I was looking at

Pretty sure you can only do a new tip. Even if you could do another 1' section, the action of that section would be as if it wasn't there IME. I did my Loomis (when Loomis was real) in like that :(

GreshamH said:
Pretty sure you can only do a new tip. Even if you could do another 1' section, the action of that section would be as if it wasn't there IME. I did my Loomis (when Loomis was real) in like that :(

Seems like it'll become a 5'3 rod. How sad. At least it wasn't broken in the middle ... :/ No way to replicate the strength of 8? wires/mini-poles. Kinda like a suspension bridge. Unfortunately, cool.

Probably going to upgrade or get another pole anyways since I've done all this searching. I'm leaning toward the 9.99 2' rod/reel combo with the mickey mouse decals. That'll be awesome. I find it amusing when you're pulling fish out with a kiddie pole and others around you with expensive stuff and a sweet boat aren't catching anything :)

Cabelas might sell DIY rod blanks; can't really remember if they do or who does. before family and other things happened I wanted to build my own rod. You may if those parts available and fit, have a two piece pole.

xcaret said:
Did you have an 8' pole?
Flyfishing?

Nope, this was a 6'6 rod and is now 5'6. I do have a fly rod, though - got a bit discouraged after snapping a bunch of flies off and not catching anything. A challenge I will defeat at a later date :)

Back