Kessil

Ordering 100 gal containers

Coral reefer

Past President
So we have a few people ready yo order 100 gal containers. Looks like we want to order at least 4-5 total to keepshipping costs down. I'm I'm for 2, sfsuphysics mike might want one, and maybe someone else...perculation? I want to order pretty soon, so who else?

Yeah, post some details (the website/product) so people can have a go. Also since you are brave (stupid?? :D) enough to organize this state how you'd like to deal payment, i.e. you paid first then you order, down payment then order, you foot the bill then people pay you, these are important things that may sway people one way or another (especially those who might not know who you are). Also whether or not people might want other sides/shapes, etc and if that would be ok as well. Basically real PITA to get these "group buys" together.

For me, I wouldn't mind getting a tank with a built in drain (possible also an inlet) just so I don't have to deal with drilling and tapping myself. Not sure which ones Ian got, or if he did that anyways. But also gotta watch out about light penetration, mine hopefully will be in my greenhouse, just to keep the water warm + acts as a heatsink to keep the greenhouse warm, but I can probably fix that with paint or a plastic sheeting.

BTW I think this is the category
http://www.tank-depot.com/product.aspx?id=339

Just type in 100 gallons into the little search window to have a few come up, judging by pictures Ian's looks like the Chem-Trainer one, but that might be a bit overkill (S.G. 1.9 ?? :D almost twice that of water)... not sure if its good for potable water either.

http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=TC2364IW

Is what we got.

They have a 1.5" bulkhead on bottom and a 1" on top. If you plan on keeping these outside you might want to get a colored version (not neutral). I am eventually putting mine under the house, hence the neutral color.

Also be aware you will only save on freight if the items are coming from the same location. I would suggest everyone to buy the same brand container.

I would like two, one for storage of freshwater from my RO unit and one for saltwater.

I was looking at this one for freshwater. Does anyone know if its drilled with a threaded tap?
http://www.tank-depot.com/productdetails.aspx?part=TN1829IC

Not sure what size and type for salt, I like the $500 tanks with stands and are plumbed for dispensing, but that seems a bit spendy.

Edit:
I will wait and see what ya'll decide upon for the group buy.

iani said:
Also be aware you will only save on freight if the items are coming from the same location. I would suggest everyone to buy the same brand container.
not just brand, but size as well in many cases (or check to see if it ships from the same location)

C'mon now...who likes the containers ian has? They are sweet lookin and I want two. Who else for sure? Won't know price until we see how many we order,but if other people want 2-3 (or more) I'm going to order soon!

Ship them to commercial address and it will be cheaper. I not so long ago bought 4 containers that fit on one pallet and shipping worked out to 80 total for all.
Tank depot isn't necessarily cheapest despite free shipping offer FYI. Shop online then call each. Watch for qty discount and have them quote commercial delivery.

I am interested in a green one to hold RO effluent water to fill my backyard pond, only if the green one does not cause any trouble for shipping rate (I want to have a colored one for outdoor).

I don't think it is a good idea to use this to hold salt water. I have 3 55G drums to hold RO/DI water and salt water, and the salt water ones always build Calcium in them as time goes. Unless this has an opening for cleanning, it might be a pain to use after a while. Also unless you are placing it at locations without any sunlight like Ian, it is a good idea to get a colored one (my drums are in garage mostly without sunlight, except one that is close to a vent which leaks in a little indirect sunlight, and it grows algae in the drum around the vent).

tonggao said:
I am interested in a green one to hold RO effluent water to fill my backyard pond, only if the green one does not cause any trouble for shipping rate (I want to have a colored one for outdoor).

I don't think it is a good idea to use this to hold salt water. I have 3 55G drums to hold RO/DI water and salt water, and the salt water ones always build Calcium in them as time goes. Unless this has an opening for cleanning, it might be a pain to use after a while. Also unless you are placing it at locations without any sunlight like Ian, it is a good idea to get a colored one (my drums are in garage mostly without sunlight, except one that is close to a vent which leaks in a little indirect sunlight, and it grows algae in the drum around the vent).

This is why they make Panda Plastic, it's perfect for wrapping items you don't want light to enter.

and to handle build up, maybe once or twice a year, after the tank is emptied, fill up the tank with your waste water and then add a gallon of viniger.

Yeah, just to add to my request, if its not going to cause an issue with shipping, I'd like the black ones. They will double as a heat-sink for my greenhouse.

sfsuphysics said:
Yeah, just to add to my request, if its not going to cause an issue with shipping, I'd like the black ones. They will double as a heat-sink for my greenhouse.

Good call, they should work great for that. The GH I used to care for had a dozen 55g black barrels filled with water and they really helped :) The other GH on the property didn't have them and they got much colder in winter.

Back