High Tide Aquatics

Sportfishing Charter Advice Requested

Hey Gang ... my fantastic mother in law gave me a birthday gift certificate last year for a day on the water with Emeryville sportfishing, but as it was late in the season I elected to hold on to it and try to do something this year. As some of you are quite close to the industry, I was hoping to find out whether there was any whispers yet on how the temp gradients were evolving this year such that we might have an albacore season.

If nothing seems to be happening there I can always do the potluck approach, but would really like to avoid bringing home a mess of rockfish fillets that we won't be able to eat our way through. As it stands now, we have a freezer full of salmon from a trip in WA last summer, so I'd like to go out after something different.

So to all the sages out there ... what do your crystal balls see???

What boat is it for? The New Salmon Queen will be done with it's retrofit in Sept. and THAT is THE boat to be on :) Awesome captain and a fellow hobbyist to boot :)

I think it's for any boat in the fleet ... I was going to hone in on the skipper / boat once I had an idea of what to target. Do you know when the NSQ will be active again next month and is Craig still the skipper?

Craig owns the boat and I suspect will Skipper it till he can no longer walk, or gets a new boat :)

His Facebook page has been giving routine updates. Since he deadheaded something and had to dry dock his boat, he took that as an opportunity to redo his entire drive/engine assembly and add some other stuff. His new dual CATs will get you out of the bay in a hurry :) He said on Aug 5th 4-5 weeks until it gets wet again.

New Salmon Queen said:
Going from 335hp per engine to 510Hp per engine, we are going to have a different ride....Engines and gears are all electronic, and I have to learn all about operating them, definitely a little different then mechanicals.

let me know when you go out and i will go with you as well been meaning to get out on the water this year been doing alot of dock/pier/shore fishing and im tired

Hey guys, I have been told that once my motors are in the boat, that I can expect another week and it would be done. Hopefully they finish welding the new engine bed today. Anyway, as for albacore, there has been some fish caught, but I'm sure they haven't been going out far enough. The past 3 weeks have had flat calm weather, and the water should have moved closer in. I just saw the latest SST's and it's obvious where the fish would be. Not much of a commercial fleet here anymore, so unless someone find's them, we will only see a handful, make 1/2 the run, for a couple of fish.

This year, our season seems to be 1 1/2 months behind normal. If that's the case, look for better reports in September and October, and possibly into November, at least down off Morro Bay.

cencal_100825_1143a_49_65_3.gif

Overlay the SST with Chlorophyll, and you can see where it would be good water to fish
chl_cencal_100825_0210p_0_0_3-1.gif

Hopefully when I get back, that warm water moves in a little closer than 96 NM from Pt. Bonita..lol..although I have gone further than that for tuna...

Jess, will do ... maybe we can get a few folks together for a run.

Craig, thanks for the details ... just what I was hoping for, and that same spot jumped out for me as well -- clear water and high temps. Maybe we can keep in touch and if it looks like there's a good window I can plan a (very long) day on the water away from work.

Robin

Sure no problem...the sst's have been lacking all month, finally a good picture, I dont have to look at the forecast to know it's going to be windy the next day or two...lol

Hi Craig,
Does your boat have all the gears for someone like me, who doesn't have anything? Do you show people what to do or everyone do their own thing? I really like to go someday. BAR fishing trip would be fun.

If you're ever on Kadavu Island, Fiji: Adrian lives at Matava Resort and takes clients out daily on a very, very nice sport fishing boat.
P1000996.jpg

Elite said:
Hi Craig,
Does your boat have all the gears for someone like me, who doesn't have anything? Do you show people what to do or everyone do their own thing? I really like to go someday. BAR fishing trip would be fun.
Sure we have all the gear available. If it's just for a few people I can grab the rental gear from the shop and comp it to you. We show people how to use the equipment, as well as show them how to catch the fish we are targeting.

I've been told that my boat will be ready in 7-10 days, I need it back by the 17th, to film the Sport fishing with Dan Hernandez show.

Coming across the bridge this morning, looking at the glass flat bay glinting in the morning sun, I could only think what a great day it would be to be wetting a line ... hope some of these days will still be around later in the month when the boat is back in the water!

I've been on the NSQ twice and the deckhand's always been very helpful with tips and stuff. Last time I went, I took my family out with me and my mom snagged a nice Lingcod.

I can't wait to go again and have been buggin' Capt. Shim to get his boat in check for weeks now.

Back