Reef nutrition

New reefer

Hello All

My name's Jon. I've been fascinated by this hobby for the past 6 years. Some of my favorite places are the Monterey Bay Aquarium and Cal Academy of Sciences. I have a bucket list wish list which includes visiting aquariums all around the world. I've seen whale sharks in Taiwan/Japan. My life goal is to swim with a humpback whale.

I'm in the process of moving to a new place in Union City. At which point, I made the commitment to dive into this new hobby. I've been slowly accumulating parts: 150 gallon tru vu, AquaC-400, 2xMP40w, 60" AI LED plus a bunch of misc pumps. Being a newb reefer, I'm skeptical of my DIY ability and would rather do things right the first time then struggle over and over. So I tried to hire a professional however the professional has been unresponsive and doesn't wish to take on new clients. Which is completely bizzare to me since they boast the largest client base in the bay area from private homeowners to software companies. But the company also charges maintenance and that's something I don't want. I don't want to be so distant from my tank that I can't diagnose issues or maintain the equipment. I want to be self-reliant.

With limited options of expertise (2 of my friends have smaller setups), I'm trying to reach out to the local community for assistance. I'm looking for experts that don't mind weening a new reefer. =)

Currently, what I find the most intimidating is the plumbing
, overflow, return, PVC, bulkheads, flow-rates etc. There's no definitive method online and I've arrived at the conclusion that RC's purpose isn't to teach you how to do it but for people to share what they've done. There's no step by step instruction on there. I recently bought my 4th aquarium book "The Marine Reef Aquarium" by Philip Hunt only because it had a 1 chapter section of step by step instructions on DIY plumbing.

I'm also interested in custom DIY sumps, steel stands, controllers, and calc/phosphate reactors.

Jon

Hey Jon, Welcome aboard! You've come to the right place for info. Many of us have plumbed up some mild to wild set ups. Start attending our meetings and shake hands with folks. Between us, we'll offer you some sound advise about your ideas of tank set up. Read up on the Forum about our trials and tribulations for a great start. Yeah, you can do it yourself, you betcha! :bigsmile:

Jon, check out several of the tank threads where members are still building. Lots of gems mixed in there which is why I spend time reading them. You will find information going around on the tank threads that are specific, so start a tank journal.

Running water and pumps have to be stopped to hear across the room at my house. I am not the plumber you are looking for. I can fit it all together leakproof, but the design...

Welcome

Welcome! I'm sure you'll love this club. I have a very similar setup ... 150 gallon Tru Vu. Plumbing is not my strong suit, so I won't hold out my system as an example! Fortunately, I had a LOT of help from a BAR friend: http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/9285?page=9

Thanks all for the happy greeting. I'm looking forward to making a few meetings and bringing out my reefer friends to. I've got grad school every other saturday so hopefully I won't have any schedule conflicts coming up.

@yardartist: Thanks for the recommendation. I've started to browse and really like this forum.
@99sf: Thanks for your build thread! I'll be studying it!
@screebo: Thanks for the vote of confidence!

My suggestion is to start a tank thread, and say "please help".
Step 1 : State all basic ideas and plans. Get feedback.
Step 2 : Do actual drawings. Get more feedback.
Google docs has a nice free easy to use drawing tool. And a fancy 3D one if you go crazy.
There are a tone of issues, yes.
Noise is one of the biggest. Took me a long time to get my current tank dead silent. We shall see how
the new tank goes.
If in doubt - oversize the plumbing.

I had terrible luck with various professionals as well, even doing something simple like helping move a tank.
Maybe it is living in Union City. Or maybe just not interested in smaller deals.
I had great luck with tank builders and other direct suppliers though. Just not with middle-men.

You can definitely do it yourself, just not in a hurry. My build is a bit crazy, and taking the expected several
months to complete. Others take years. Some are quick. Depends on what you want to do.

BTW: I live in Union City, and might help for a few free beers, but have limited time.
My tank thread, in case you want to see plumbing taken to the absurd:
http://www.bareefers.org/home/node/10956

I am a "professional" meaning I do maintenance, setups, moves, etc... Not trying to make money here, more offering a hand. I'll be in Hayward Monday afternoon, if you join the site(only $20 per year, and WELL worth it) send me a personal message and I'll drop by and say hello and give my two cents

Like any business, some are bad, but yes, there are certainly good people out there to help.
The problem is finding those good people ... :~
And that is where this club really helps!
Super cheap to join, and I am sure I have made it up in freebies/deals at club meetings already.

welcome to BAR and Union City. lol. Not much going for us around here except for the convienience of a 24hr walmart down the street for late night DIY jobs and Atlantis aquarium. But its nice having another local reef head

You forgot one of the biggest benefits of living in Union City --
We are really close to the BAR meetings! :party:
(Chabot College)

Now if we can just convince Atlantis Aquarium to stock a few more fish and inverts...

haha thanks.

I moved from south fremont. there wasn't much there. Mermaid Aquarium called it quits and Aquatic Gallery's a whole other whale. I'll be checking out a steel tubing company next week to get my stand made. I'll post pictures in my tank journal.

Back