Cali Kid Corals

Glass or Acrylic?

Acrylic is nice and light but like C says does scratch easily. Me personally I'm going with Starphire with my next tank. Glass is heavier but don't worry a bunch of BAR members can help you move your tank. :D

Elos 120 (80g) would look awesome in your place. It's funny, when I came over that was my first thought...'Wow, he should put a bigger tank right 'there'

I think the correct answer is "it depends." There are a lot of attractions to both. The biggest thing I'm scared of with going Acrylic is scratching it. However, in my new apartment, the scare of the my aquaruim breaking through the floor outweighs my other fear :)

Gonzo said:
I think the correct answer is "it depends." There are a lot of attractions to both. The biggest thing I'm scared of with going Acrylic is scratching it. However, in my new apartment, the scare of the my aquaruim breaking through the floor outweighs my other fear :)

The weight of the tank itself won't make or break your floor .. If it's that close/you're worried about it that much, then maybe reconsider ;)

I honestly think I'll be fine. It's only a 90 gallon with 30 gallon sump. However, I think the landlord (when she finds out) would prefer me saying "well it's only acrylic and it's not even CLOSE to weighing as much as a glass tank." :)

I like acrylic for the light weight and strength but hate the way it scratches, my current tank is scratched like a mofo and super annoying to look at. Going glass on my next tank.....well after this new tank it will be glass! :bigsmile:

iCon said:
Elos 120 (80g) would look awesome in your place. It's funny, when I came over that was my first thought...'Wow, he should put a bigger tank right 'there'
+1 :bigsmile:
(Thick, clear glass)

iCon said:
Gonzo said:

The weight of the tank itself won't make or break your floor .. If it's that close/you're worried about it that much, then maybe reconsider ;)

Tell that to the guys that helped me move my tank into my apartment...

I would say acrylic and Starphire or similar glass are about even.
+1 on "depends".
I would not get standard plate glass for a big tank. As it gets thick, the greenish hue and loss of clarity become noticeable.

I chose acrylic largely due to two reasons:
1) DIY factor. It is a whole lot easier to drill holes, add overflows, and otherwise tweak.
2) The kid factor. They play and are careless, sometimes with things that could shatter glass.

That total instant failure mode of shattered glass scares me, especially if kid is in front of it.

Insulation is a better for acrylic, and probably better in an earthquake..

But yeah, scratches can be really annoying, not impossible to buff out on the inside, but nearly so.

Glass for me- I've got minor scratching in my glass tank and I cringe to think of how much scratching it would be for acrylic or how much effort to clean off coraline algae.

If I can take a play on a quote from Risky Business.

Glass ...... there is no substitute.

That said I think I might still be nursing a hernia from moving several tanks.

There was a sweet hybrid on reefbuikders recently. I had thought of it before but wasn't sure how possible it was. Acrylic all around with a starfire front panel. Pretty cool. Light. Drillabke, harder to scratch!

Coral reefer said:
There was a sweet hybrid on reefbuikders recently. I had thought of it before but wasn't sure how possible it was. Acrylic all around with a starfire front panel. Pretty cool. Light. Drillabke, harder to scratch!

Paul Whitby came and spoke to the club a while back and he had a PVC bottom, acrylic side and back, starphire front tank built, it looked pretty slick.

tuberider said:
Coral reefer said:

Paul Whitby came and spoke to the club a while back and he had a PVC bottom, acrylic side and back, starphire front tank built, it looked pretty slick.

That was the RB post Mike is refereeing to, although, it wasn't all the recent (many months ago)

Huh, I mustve seen a link to it on a recent post then. My bad. That tank makes me think about a bigger better tank...better not think about it anymore!

Back