Our mission

Too much?

I'm getting a new skimmer for my 40br and was wondering if this was too much or if you guys had recommendations. I was going to go with the Reef Octo XP1000 as I did some research and it looks pretty solid. I was also looking at the bubble magus skimmers too as I want something in sump(30 gal). Any help is greatly appreciated

I have a bubble magnus and am pretty impressed with its performance compared to its size.

I would go with BM3.5 CONE SKIMMER or the BM-NAC3+ if you were planning on staying in the 40 gal.
The Octo is certainly a great skimmer, but pretty oversized for the tank. You can get collapsing foam head if your skimmer is to big. plus your just burning up electricity for no reason.

Thanks guys, Ill probably go with the magus then. Sounds like it will work great for my setup and I can save a lil money for corals

I haven't heard of ASM's for a couple years now... are they still on the market? Seems like there are better options in the price range now.

So Ive been doing some more research and found this company called Reef Dynamics that based in Cali. They seem to really know what they are talking about when it comes to skimmers. Anyone else heard of them?

Reef Dynamics is the company that formed after Euro-Reef I believe; same logo.
Think an RS-80 would make for a nice skimmer, I like those little "espumadores"

... having had a few modded asm's, and been through a few of the "modern" skimmers... if you can get a beat-up, used asm and take your dremel to it, you'll likely get barely-less to just-as-good performance from it, for waaaaay less dough. :)

The new skimmers are much, much prettier though.

Back